• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep002a

jvfd0265

So our small town fire department just received a 1992 mep 002a 5kw generator through forestry from government surplus. Changed out all the filters, added some oil and new fuel. A couple of people said its not running like it should, Im not real sure I thought when it fired up no problem it was doing great. We noticed like a white smoke coming out from around what everyone said was the generator itself. Smelled like maybe a wire burning (We are a bunch of firemen ought to know that smell) but I did notice that with the weather guard and everything on it that there isn't an exhaust pip so to speak just a small elbow and looks like the exhaust is going down into the unit and working its way back out. We are all kind of bumfuzzled on where to start looking for the problems to be able to use it when our power goes out any suggestions?

Jimc

A 1 1/4" iron 45deg elbow is about right for the exhaust. Maybe some pictures of what you have would help. Maybe someone did some messing around to the exhaust. What you describe sounds like there is an ASK enclosure around it.

jvfd0265

They didn't upload from my phone, just uploaded from the computer got 9 of them up. i got a couple of videos too im not sure how to upload that yet

Jimc

I see, you uploaded the pics to your profile in an album rather that posting them to the thread. From the pictures I don't see anything abnormal there. Exhaust looks right.

Harleyd315

I looked at the photos and was wondering about the picture with all the black smoke coming out of the genset. Was the unit under load. That much black smoke doesnt look normal to me. I have had a few of these ASK units and for piece of mind I remove all the panels to do an inspection on the genset. You would be amazed at what little critters can do to these units while in storage especially with the insulation on ASK units. These units are noisy no matter what so if the little extra noise doesn't bother you leave the ASK panels off, it makes working on these units a whole lot easier.

jvfd0265

The generator was not under load, that was just running. It's cleared up since the first time we ran it. I'm leaning towards injectors being clogged. It runs for 6 minutes no load and shuts down.

Jimc

if its shutting down after that timeframe then its getting too hot prob from too much fuel. you will need to pull the injectors and prob the pump. disassemble the pump to make sure all is good inside and clean any gummed up parts with some lacquer thinner. run some lacquer thinner through the high pressure lines then send the injectors out to be cleaned up and tuned. jerry/storeman on here can do it reasonably if you have no one local. just send him a pm.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks