• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep003?

danjrofpa

Can anyone identify this unit? I was out looking for some spare parts and came across it. I thought it was an MEP003 until I saw the exhaust manifold that connects all 4 cylinders. I am not real familiar with these units but have not seen this before. I also have not seen the filter assembly that is mounted on the oil fill tube.
0329131447.jpg0329131447b.jpg

Jimc

yeah man thats odd. starter is on the blower end. not an 003 of any type that i have ever seen. onan on the block is normal.

Crawdaddy

My guess is it's the civvy version of the 003 engine. From what I've read, the military ordered their engines with the starters on the flywheel end where civvy engines had it on the blower wheel end.

Jimc

could very well be. someone got a civvy engine and tried to make it work on an 003 somehow. the mil had the oil cooler and the civvy version doesnt....so i have heard. the bell housing is different as well. stuff like this is interesting. its like a mystery.

Isaac-1

I think those are Onal DL4 / L423 engines, they had a fairly short production life (maybe 10 years), as they were discontinued / orphaned (support was intentionally killed off also) when Cummins bought out Onan in the early 90's as these engines were a direct competitor to the Cummins 4BT / 6BT engine.

Ike

ps never mind I just looked at the larger version of the photo it is NOT an L423

Last edited:

Jimc

here is a pic of a civvy version. i could only find this side. it does show the fuel filters being in the same place. wish i could find a pic of the opposite side for the exh manifold

Engines233.jpg

couple other things i notice now that i look. the shutdown solenoid is the same kinda short version also you can see the flywheel teeth are at the front of the engine which would confirm the starter on the opposite end like crawdaddy said.

Last edited:

Jimc

hmm yes that one i got a pic of was watercooled. were they all like that? i didnt think they were. maybe the pic i posted was a different model engine?

Isaac-1

Ok, quick rundown on civilian Diesel J series (they also made spark ignited J series engines)

DJA - 1 cylinder 3.25 inch bore air cooled

DJB - 2 cylinder 3.25 inch bore air cooled m50 injection pump

DJE - 2 cylinder 3.5 inch bore air cooled Diesel Kiki injection pump

DJC 4 cylinder 3.25 inch bore air cooled m50 injection pump

MDJA - Marine water cooled version of the DJA, VERY RARE

MDJB - Marine water cooled version of the DJB

MDJC, RDJC Marine / radiator water cooled version of the DJC

RDJF - radiator water cooled version similar to the DJC but with 3.5 inch bore

There are also a few less common version like the DJCB which has staggered cylinder firing instead of parallel

Jimc

ahhh thats good info isaac. i was searching for a djf which is what we got on our 003's but the civ version is actually a djc. i forgot that. i dug up some pics and it appears that is what you got there. the military used djc's as well. i dont know what for but i found a year old gl listings for a few. maybe they used them in water pumps or hyd power units or something like that.

dsc00001.jpg47671678.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks