• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep003a charlie

flyfishrelease

Hooked the mep003a up to the house for the first time to get ready for Sandy.
Moved the Circuit switch to 1 phase 220 volts.
Things went well as I snapped on light breakers, the electric hot water tank, the freezer, and as I added more light breakers (lights were off for these breakers) all lights and I guess the hot water tank, and freezer went dead. Checked the AC breaker out at the gen. it was still in on position. Checked gen. panel volt meter it read 220 volts L3 to L1 and 120 volts L1 to L0. When I put a volt meter across L1 to L3 power out terminal it read about 150 volts; from L3 to L0 120 volts and from L1 to L0 about 50 volts.

I plugged in a 500 watt light to the 120V AC receptacle in the front of the panel, it worked fine.

Anyone have this problem. Any suggestions how to further check or fix it.

Charlie

mep003a
m116A2

Isaac-1

I would suspect possible problems in the output breaker, or the reconnection switch first, check for low resistance connections there.

Ike

flyfishrelease

Thanks Ike for the reply, do you have any info on how to check the output breaker or re-connection switch. Is this a case of dirty connections that can be fixed by cleaning. Since the panel volt meter seems to be reading correctly is that because the readings are taken before the breaker and after the breaker at the split bolt output the L1 to L0 volt reading is low. I got this unit in Sept., I think it's a 1992 with 1270 hrs. It starts and seems to run good.

flyfishrelease

mep003A Charlie

Hooked the mep003a up to the house for the first time to get ready for Sandy.
Moved the Circuit switch to 1 phase 220 volts.
Things went well as I snapped on light breakers, the electric hot water tank, the freezer, and as I added more light breakers (lights were off for these breakers) all lights and I guess the hot water tank, and freezer went dead. Checked the AC breaker out at the gen. it was still in on position. Checked gen. panel volt meter it read 220 volts L3 to L1 and 120 volts L1 to L0. When I put a volt meter across L1 to L3 split bolt power out terminal it read about 150 volts; from L3 to L0 120 volts and from L1 to L0 about 50 volts.

I plugged in a 500 watt light to the 120V AC receptacle in the front of the panel, it worked fine.

I would suspect possible problems in the output breaker, or the reconnection switch first, check for low resistance connections there.

Ike
Does anyone have info on how to check the output breaker or re-connection switch. Is this a case of dirty connections that can be fixed by cleaning. Since the panel volt meter seems to be reading correctly is that because the readings are taken before the breaker and after the breaker at the split bolt output the L1 to L0 volt reading is low. I got this unit in Sept., I think it's a 1992 with 1270 hrs. It starts and seems to run good.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I would do (your starting to get pressed), so Shut it down, disconnect the load. Run/snap main breaker, back and forth a dozen times. Same with the circuit switch. Check for loose fittings. Check the split ear bolts, make sure everything is good and tight. Maybe look behind the split connectors, and check for loose. When you get her running again, let it get well warmed, and start adding light loads. Skip the non essential stuff, especially the water heater. Sounds like connections.

These generators are good, but its still going to take everything you know, to keep it running. A fifteen minute test is one thing, but keeping her running for three days straight will be a grind.

Good Luck

flyfishrelease

mep003A Charlie

Rain and wind let up some today so got a chance to look into low voltage on L1. Turns out that the bottom side nut on the the L1 terminal was missing leaving the wire eyelet to dangle on the threaded post. Threaded and tightened a new nut, started and run the set, voltage on the L1 to L0 terminal which was 50 volts increased to 120 volts and L3 to L1 went from 150 to 240 volts. Connected set to the house and ran house for 2 plus hours with all electric circuit breakers on (furnace, hot water tank,one burner on electric range for a short time, dishwasher, lights, TV etc.) except dryer with no problems.

Thought I would add this info for anyone who might run into a similar problem. Ike was right about a low resistance problem where the loose wire eyelet made enough contact to read about 50 volts at the L1 to L0 terminals while the panel voltmeter read 120 volts in the L1 to L0 position.

mep003A
m116A2

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks