• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP003A Governor Linkage

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today, I had trouble starting my MEP003A, which is very unusual as it always starts right up. At first I thought the fuel cutoff solenoid was bad, but simple troubleshooting ruled that out. It turned out that the governor linkage 150-1331 (44940) was binding internally. I squirted some motorcycle chain lube up inside and exercised it up and down and now it works smoothly. All of the rest of the linkage has always worked smoothly, but I lubricated it again anyway. That MEP003A is one of the best purchases I've ever made. Very reliable, gets used many times during the year due to power outages, and completely powers our whole house, including our geothermal heat pump without a hick-up. I especially like the fact that it is air-cooled.

Chainbreaker

Yep my little herd of (5) MEP-002a's have served me well.

I'm keeping my eye out for a good MEP-003a for potential summer use should I ever need to "run our house air-conditioning unit" due to a summer outage. During our typical winter storm utility outages my MEP-002a's do the job well running house & shop/barn w/o any AC requirements & only propane central heat.

It's getting more common out in the Pacific Northwest for Utility Companies to proactively do "safety utility shutdowns" in times of summer High Fire Danger situations. Usually, occurs mid-summer when grass & underbrush is bone dry & there are active high wind warning forecasts that could potentially cause utility lines to drop when trees or limbs fall across lines.

Last edited:

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The one and only time I ever ran into a MEP-anything during many years of military were one night with about six of them the size of an 003 .. It was very dark and under blackout tactical conditions.. I was sent blind with only the coordinates, map, and 5-ton T&P with no radio.. Had to fuel gennies at our Division MASH the one and only time it was in the field conjointly with our tank BN.. Apparently something happened and they lost their usual fuel source, I was a SP5 at the time and at least got that much info.. I never had seen a real MASH in daylight nor the area I had to get to.. Let's just say it was a strange midnight trip alone into the unknown not having any idea of the view.. Not any different than other blackout ops we regularly did, except this time I hoped to get a glimpse of some nurses ;)

Eventually I come across a shape I barely make out waving his rifle, standing in the dimly-lit middle of the dirt trail... Jeezus I couldn't see him in the BO drive light until I was 6 feet from him.. I get out and approach and he yells "password!" Their's was not the same as ours .. Okay snafu, here we go.. I'm not playing this game, been up since 0500 and now it's into the next day, so I tell him the job and he's on his prick77 to his CO or whoever.. I am soon cleared for takeoff... I ask if he can ground-guide me cuz I have no idea where i have to specifically go and I noticed trails all over the place with my red lens while I was out of the truck, however I could hear motors clattering about 200ft away.. This made me chuckle as they were louder than my truck.. "Tactical.. Right.." Well, as a good fella the guard will not leave his post to help me out, so I go on foot following the noise.. At least at that point I was given their password.. If I ran into any decent nurses I thought about using the wrong password to encourage my capture. Anyway I was 24, what else would be on my mind, sir?

I locate the noisy gennies on trailers, some had two gennies on them.. Never seen any before and located their tanks.. They also had drums set up aside of them.. The white lights on the dashboards screwed up my night vision and I again chuckled.. "Tactical.. Right." wondering why those weren't red like everything else.. I even saw red light peeking out from joints in the tents.. A SP6 comes into view and fills me in as to what's priority, apparently thinking I only had a bunch of jerrycans.. I tell him I have 1200 gallons and he looks in disbelief for a second, and then relief.. He helps me get the truck through a couple tight spots and keeps me company, chatting a bit, decent guy.. Never saw another MEP again until I bought one, and at night those white lights remind me of that experience every time.. And I still cuss about changing them out to red.. Great machines.. I have no recollection whatsoever of the rest of that night long ago.. It must've been a trip of disappointment, no nurses were seen nor harmed during the making of that sh-- show :p

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
MSGJD,

We passed in the night. Tankers were always interesting.

It was the winter of 1973, we were going on REFORGER. That stands for Return of Forces Germany. This was the largest Maneuver the military ever conducted, and it happened about every year for a long time here.

I was a PFC, and had no license. I had been bombing the test, so I would not have to drive trucks here. Shortly before we got ready to saddle up, my NCO told me he was going to rearrange my head, if I didn’t pass the test. So, I did. Now, back in the day, the “Test” was written. The unit was expected to provide the “hands on” portion. My hands on, was REFORGER. I drove a Deuce and a half, towing a M200-A1 generator trailer, with no brakes. The first few days went, well, so, so. SP/5 Padilla sat in the shotguns seat and administered punches and screaming “advice” until I could mostly keep it on the small German roads. I did replace the West Coast mirror twice.

Soon, I felt like I was a Driver! Yes sir. Then one foggy night I got a call from Top, (First Sergeant) while refilling generators with 5 gallon cans. 8 cans per set. 13 sets. You can do the math. About the time I got done, I was starting again. Top needed a driver, and “can I drive a truck and trailer” was going to get me out of carrying 5 gallon cans all night. So I said, “Yes”.

Well, as it turned out, I was supposed to drive the fuel tanker, with trailer to a fuel point and tank up. Didn’t sound like much of a problem. So I went out to the 5 Ton and hopped in. My dog jumped in, along with a junkie who was to be the shotgun. I had a strip map, and the junkie was supposed to direct me. Two miles down the road the junkie had gone to sleep, and it started to snow. Not hard, but you could tell it wasn’t going to stop. As it had rained for the last week, it was not a good time to be out and about.

It didn’t take me but an hour before I was lost. The junkie was only semi awake. Charley, my dog could not help, but kept me warm. So we drove around for another hour or so. The roads are small down in the South of Germany even today. I kept the truck on the road, but did remove lots of side road markers. About 22:00 I went into a small village, and didn’t see or didn’t recognize a Dead End Sign. I drove down a long, very narrow road, and came to a stop in front of some nice persons house. Now what do I do? The one thing no one had ever taught me, was how to back up a trailer. But I tried! Oh yes. I tried. Engine roaring, headlights burning through peoples windows, me screaming, the Junkie (now awake) is screaming at me. Then the people from the houses joined in. I was sweating like a pig. It was about freezing outside, but not in the cab.

After I had jackknifed the trailer about 100 times, and had about half the town trying to direct me on how to drive, a nasty old man jumped up on the running board, opened the door and shoved me over. So, there we are. Three men and a dog in the 5 Ton and he backs up the trailer about 100 yards like I can drive it forwards. I felt about two inches tall. Then he sprang out and screamed something at me before walking away.

I drove off as fast as I could in shame. The junkie went back to sleep and we were just as lost as before.

About 24:00 I saw a guy on the side of the road, with his hand waving up and down. I pulled over and asked him if he needed help. He didn’t understand me. He yelled something at me, I didn’t understand him. I pointed at my strip map, and asked him “WO”, where. He made motions that he would get in the truck, and guide us there. So once again, three of us and a dog in the cab. Windows open so we could all fit in. This gentleman gave me directions and on we drove. About 30-40 minutes. We were driving down another long, foggy, narrow road, with barbwire fences on both sides. It was by now a winter wonderland. Nothing but pasture land on both sides. All the sudden, I can see a fence and house in front. I come to a stop, and out jumps my “buddy”. He waves and shouts Auf Weidersehen! And walks away. I am so screwed.

So I try and back up. A bunch of times. There is no way I can do this. So……………………………. I simply cranked the wheel to the right, and gave her gas. Drove off the road, down into the ditch, up over the far side and directly into the fence. Through the fence, (I never thought it could stretch that far!) and at last through the fence. I didn’t even think twice, and found another piece of fence still standing, and drove through it too. I never looked back.

About 05.00 we got back. Everyone was mad, I took a butt whooping and had to ride shotgun with SP/5 Padilla back to the fuel point and get fuel.

When we at last got home, I did learn to drive a trailer backwards. I spent hours at it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks