• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP003A No Fuel Out of Injector Pump

m38inmaine

So I dug out a pair of MEP003a's from storage that have been sitting out for quite a while, trying to get one running while I repair my other set. Did the usual fuel system clean out, new filters etc. I have fuel at the injector pump but none being sent to the injector lines. I checked to make sure the lever on the side is opening full when the shut off is up and it is. I assume something in the pump is stuck closed not allowing fuel through. Is there a way to get at this without risking losing the timing?

Thanks

dangier

IP timing is easy following the TM. Sounds like your plunger disk is broken. With a little patience, these ip's come apart quite easily. Do a search, there is a lot of information on these ip's.
Good luck,
David

m38inmaine

OK, so I found a post here to remove the delivery valve assy and tap the port with a brass punch, did that and fuel shot out like mad when I spun the engine. It also said be sure not to loose the valve spacer. Well I did not loose it but it's rubbery and oversized and won't go back in. Any source for these?

Thanks

jamawieb

OK, so I found a post here to remove the delivery valve assy and tap the port with a brass punch, did that and fuel shot out like mad when I spun the engine. It also said be sure not to loose the valve spacer. Well I did not loose it but it's rubbery and oversized and won't go back in. Any source for these?

Thanks
You did exactly what you should but I will add, you should take a q-tip and lacquer thinner to clean the inside of the pump while you have the delivery valve out. With the delivery valve out, you'll see the top of the plunger. You should she the plunger move in and out as you rotate the motor. I would rotate the motor and as the plunger moves in and out put the q-tip in there to clean (of course rotate the motor by hand). Without cleaning it may stick again. I fill the fuel filter canister closest to the IP half full of lacquer thinner, then turn on the pumps and rotate the motor by hand, while moving the throttle arm up and down. This will get the lacquer thinner in the internals to clean them.
The only source for the spacer is ambac, and get ready for sticker shock! Last time I checked they wanted $25 for it. Some people have reported putting the pumps back together without them and they work fine but I tried that twice and mine ran like crap so who knows.

m38inmaine

Thanks, I have not verified the plunger moves yet but I will. I will be sure to clean the port as suggested as well, thanks.

Ray70

Ambac is the only place to get the spacer. Call and ask the parts woman how much the rebuild kit is, I think its only a little more that buying the spacer alone. Kit comes with the spacer, some o-rings , the seal for around the delivery valve cap and I think a couple other things, Just in case you end up needing more than just the spacer.... 2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks