• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep003a too noisy

Scottl

Hey guys i cant seem to get my generator to quiet down enough to my liking.. i can easily hear it at even 200 yards away with my muffler setup on it. just wondering if anyone has some ideas or can tell me what they did for theirs.. im thinking dual mufflers but idk maybe i just need a bigger muffler.

Attachments

3dAngus

It's not just the mufflers (exhaust) it's also the engine. If you direct the mufflers away from the house or building you still get a deep sound in the building.

On the mufflers, I have a 15' foot of so stainless coil exhaust pipe that screws in the two mufflers exhaust. They help direct the flow of the sound away from anyone standing and working in the direct area of the gen.

I thought about running the end of them under water, but not sure how that diesel engine would like the backflow. It might heat up some, but I can't think of anything that would make an exhause quieter.

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heck Scottl........jus sell me that ole 003 right cheap
and go buy ya one o those quiet civy units!!!!BWAHAHHAA
popacom2cents

Scottl

mep

Well i am using the generator at events that's why i built the trailer. its to be a portable unit. so buildings or enclosures wont help me.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have an "ASK" for one I would sell. $500 if you want it. ASK stands for acoustic suppression kit. I don't know the DB its supposed to cut, but I figured I put it out there.

treeguy

How about building a mock ASK box around it. I have been thinking about this. Don't confine yourself the contours of the Genny. The front were the fan is obviously put a screen for air the build an acusticly insulated box around the perimeter of the trailer with removable access doors and if your frisky fab up a top with air intake and exhaust. This is pretty much the only thing I can come up with to keep her portable. My work just had 5 gennys installed outside and they all have a uniform box enclosure (insulated) and they have (doors) ports for air in and exhaust. I don't see why any of use with Meps can't do the same unless there is specific air flow routing for cooling. I'm sure that Speddmon would know for sure.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well i am using the generator at events that's why i built the trailer. its to be a portable unit. so buildings or enclosures wont help me.
My MEP-003A is mounted on an M116A1 trailer and I use it like you do sometimes. Those gensets are very nice, but they are very noisy. There is a lot of mechanical noise in addition to the exhaust. If possible, try to locate it as far away from the event as possible and use long cables to supply the cable. ASK kits work fairly well, but the set will still be noisy.