• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP003A will not start.

DMZ11b40

Generator running great. No issues whatsoever. Not real sure as to why but I decided to pull the emergency shut off. Still no issue, generator shut down. Tried to restart and it cranks but will not start. Haven't really tried anything because I dont know where to start. Hopefully its something simple. Thanks for any suggestions or recommendations.

Carl_in_NH

The emergency shutoff is just a circuit breaker that shuts off the DC to the control circuits. It stops the genset when the electric fuel shutoff solenoid drops out. When you go to restart, one of the first things you should see is the solenoid retracting and allowing the IP to deliver fuel. Sometimes you just get bad connections in the control box for things like the plug-in relays that need to be cleaned to get things working again.

You need to start the debugging process from a 'won't start' condition. Given that it cranks over, that says your circuit breaker still works after doing the emergency stop (since it wouldn't crank if the circuit breaker was broken or open circuit).

Start with the basics in the TM and work through it.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As Carl said above, when you start, the solenoid actuates. Sometimes they will stick. Turn the power on, and then physically pull down on the solenoid. Mine used to stick periodically when I first got it, but I cleaned the linkage with carb cleaner and then lubricated it, which eliminated the problems. Make sure you periodically exercise the genset. I've found that mine runs and functions much better if I fire it up a minimum of once per month.

ctfjr

Generator running great. No issues whatsoever. Not real sure as to why but I decided to pull the emergency shut off. Still no issue, generator shut down. Tried to restart and it cranks but will not start. Haven't really tried anything because I dont know where to start. Hopefully its something simple. Thanks for any suggestions or recommendations.
Call me silly but it sure sounds like its related to you pulling that emergency shut off . . .

I would try to find the wires to it & jump it out. An easy 1st step.

Carl_in_NH

Call me silly but it sure sounds like its related to you pulling that emergency shut off
The reason I submit the breaker still works is because the OP said it cranks but won't start. Without the breaker functioning it won't crank.

Simple test; close the breaker and turn on the panel lights; if they light up, the breaker is fine and your issue is elsewhere.

The above statements assume, of course, that the genset is stock and the control box wiring hasn't been hacked.

ctfjr

The reason I submit the breaker still works is because the OP said it cranks but won't start. Without the breaker functioning it won't crank.

Simple test; close the breaker and turn on the panel lights; if they light up, the breaker is fine and your issue is elsewhere.

The above statements assume, of course, that the genset is stock and the control box wiring hasn't been hacked.

Good point Carl - if, as you assume, the control box hasn't been modified.

I've had my 003 for a few months now and am planning to remove a lot of 'unnecessary' wiring.

ctfjr

What wiring is not needed, in your opinion?
Jerry
The first thing Jerry is the Nato plug wiring for supporting operation of 2 gensets. Something that will never happen in my application.

I want to rewire the low oil pressure & overtemp safeties into a PLC - similar to what Sewerzuk did, but I want to idividually monitor the switches and signal a specific fault if one of them so indicates. I also want to add a couple of 100 amp digital ammeters to put on each leg (actually waiting for them to come in from ebay).

DMZ11b40

Upon troubleshooting 003a I have found fuel pressure from main supply to the injector supply block but get no fuel coming out of any of the four outlets going to individual injectors. What precautions need I if I remove the distribution block from the engine block and tearing into the distribution block. I am betting there beind a timing issue when I remove the unit from side of motor block. I would think there only being a 180 degree fir into block so reinstallation would be 50 / 50 right vs. wrong. Just thinking ahaed.....:wink:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not a distribution block, that is your injection pump. Timing it is fairly easy to do. I'm going to use a Doghead idea. Search the forums, specifically the Aux Equipment section for MEP-003a IP, MEP-002a IP (or Injection Pump) or combinations thereof, and you will find a wealth of information about removal and re-installation and timing the pumps.

JimH

Speddmon is right. There is a wealth of information here. It could be as simple as the IP being gummed up. There are a number of solutions posted on this board. The one I like is to disconnect the return line from the IP to the fuel tank, and pour Kroil in there until it is full.
Then I remove the supply line, instal a street L, and do the same thing. After it sits for a few hours, if the IP is stuck, it has always loosened up for me. Your results may vary. You need to be very careful what you pour in the IP, many lubricants will cause the gaskets to swell (a bad thing).

Good Luck. There are a lot of knowledgeable guys on here, and a wealth of previously posted information. Speddmon is one of the best.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks