• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP005A throttle question ??

R Racing

Ok I'm doing a engine swap and the engine coming out of the 400hz unit has a throttle governer with wiring and linkage. The 60hz unit doesn't have it or any support wiring or any signs of ever having it. So I get on GL and look at pictures of the same 60hz generators (4 to be exact) and they also dont have any governer or linkage or wiring either. So how does the 60hz govern its load ?? Or is there something I'm missing ??

PeterD

I think what R Racing is looking at is that the 400 Hz model is a precision setup (with a hydraulic governor) and the 60 Hz are utility units with the straight mechanical governor.

R Racing

So I guess the next question is can I use or should I use the electric governer setup from the 400hz ? Or should I swap injector pumps ? Or does the the 400hz pump also have some what of a internal governer ?

PeterD

I think the pumps are the same... I'd not try to swap in the bits and pieces for a precision set, there are a number of things that must be changed out. I've a injection pump from a precision model (or at least I was told it was a precision model) and it looks identical to my utility model injection pump.

I think all you do is to safety wire the governor lever to the end position, which your original injection pump should serve as an an example.

And, if I'm wrong, someone please jump in and say so! :p

R Racing

Thanks Peter!
Looking at my original 1 the arm is just a swinging in the breeze ? The pumps do look identical though. Anyone else have any thoughts on this ??

PeterD

Actually so was mine, but Ken who helped me get it running suggested we wire it, IIRC. In my case (and likely yours too) it doesn't move easily at all, so was not prone to jumping around. I think safety wiring is just a good idea--lot of vibration in these machines.

Isaac-1

You will likely have to adjust the mechanical governor stop screw, in general when an electronic governor is added to a generator with a mechanical governor injection pump, the mechanical governor is set for a slower speed than the minimum droop of the electronic governor (say something like 54 hz in the case of a generator) so it does not confuse the electronic governor. If it were me I would transplant electronic governor, but that is just me, should be a speed sensor, control box and actuator.

Ike

kurtkds

Looking at the TM's there is a precision 60hz machine MEP-103a.

I'm in the process of hunting parts to convert my 400hz machine to a 60hz machine.

R Racing

You will likely have to adjust the mechanical governor stop screw, in general when an electronic governor is added to a generator with a mechanical governor injection pump, the mechanical governor is set for a slower speed than the minimum droop of the electronic governor (say something like 54 hz in the case of a generator) so it does not confuse the electronic governor. If it were me I would transplant electronic governor, but that is just me, should be a speed sensor, control box and actuator.

Ike

Thanks Ike,
I have all the goodies to transplant , Only 1 box which isa large gold 1 that mounts to the side of the generator thats marked 400hz everything eles so far looks the same as the 60hz.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks