• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep016a voltage regulator repair

peyton

I was/am preparing a mep016a for my daughter to use as a backup generator. The set is new to me but after cleaning the fuel system it started right up. The carb wasn't set right and it ran for a couple of minutes at 45hz before I got it steady at 60hz. I don't know if this stressed the voltage regulator or if it had previously had a problem but the voltage went high and the magic smoke began to appear from the VR.

I seem to remember a fair amount of discussion about the old VR vs the new VR . I searched but couldn't find the discussion (I thought) I remembered. I have the TM's (-14 & 24p) but the VR schematics seem to be the newer style. So my question is: Is the old style (mesh cage) repairable? Thanks

Peyton

peyton

Re: RE: mep016a voltage regulator repair

Recovry4x4 said:
From what I understand only the newer open frame ones are repairable.
Thanks Kenny, that's what I thought remembered but was hoping someone would chime in with "it's difficult but it can be done". Now to try to find one.

Peyton

peyton

Re: RE: Re: RE: mep016a voltage regulator repair

Boatcarpenter said:
peyton, if you find more than you need, please let me know :D
BC
Be happy to. But they're probably like the mep003a/002a injection pumps; made of unobtainium.

Peyton

flobble

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: mep016a voltage regulator repair

I remember a while back someone posting about making your own. I can't see that the circuitry would be too complicated. Anyone ever try it? or know of someone who did?

peyton

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: mep016a voltage regulator repair

flobble said:
I remember a while back someone posting about making your own. I can't see that the circuitry would be too complicated. Anyone ever try it? or know of someone who did?
I too would be interested if anyone has done this. The schematic for the newer version is in the TM and it doesn't look like it would be too hard to breadboard up. If I can't find one maybe I'll look into it a bit more. Thanks

Peyton

Boatcarpenter

Hey peyton, I PM'd him also. But you get first dibs. I only did it so I would be on his list in case you came up with one from someone else before you saw his post.:grd:
BC

peyton

Boatcarpenter said:
Hey peyton, I PM'd him also. But you get first dibs. I only did it so I would be on his list in case you came up with one from someone else before you saw his post.:grd:
BC
Not a problem.

Peyton

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks