• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep016d no voltage

Guyfang

Staff member
If you replace the diodes, use a good soldering iron, Big enough to do the job, and do not overheat the diodes when replacing them. Use soldering paste. There is a real good thread on soldering you can look at if you haven't ever done this.

Isaac-1

Just to clarify here, the JAN prefix is what makes these milspec which adds a lot of destructive sample testing and documentation to the production process adding a lot to the cost of the component. Given that silicon diodes are a 50 year old technology, and the production yields are very high these days, for a typical personal use generator there is no reason to spend the extra money (several times the price) on the milspec components when the commercial grade ones are likely just as good statistically.

rustystud

001.jpg002.jpg

I'm still working on my "no voltage" problem. I was finally able to get the old Onan generators engine adapter off the Yanmar engines shaft. It was on tight !
Now I just need to find a modern 3KW generator head that will fit a 7/8" "straight" shaft. I have found plenty of "tapered" shaft generators, but none that will fit a straight shaft. Anyone out there know of any generator maker that has a 3KW unit for the L70AE Yanmar engine ? I might just have to go with a flexible coupling and a sealed generator unit (bearings front and rear) and try and get it as level as possible.

Chainbreaker

Rusty - If you don't find an adaptable gen head there is a NOS Rotor Assy replacement for your old one on a big auction site " Rotor Assy, Generator, 3KW MEP016A/C, 6115-00-299-2635 ".

rustystud

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg

After spending a few hundred more on another POS piece of junk I gave up and bought this 3KW generator unit. I needed to also buy the 1" to 7/8" coupler. Now I just need to bend some sheet metal to protect the shaft area and I'm good. I already started it up and it runs great ! Now when the power goes out I can use this unit at night and shut-off the MEP-002A . I don't have enough power usage at night to warrant using the MEP-002A.

FloridaAKM

You couldn't let it beat you, could you. Nice adaption of miltary vs civilian equipment that actually works. I have a gas engine version of that genset that worked great on 110v, but 220v would not power correctly so it sits unused. Looking @ you handiwork makes me want to go drag it out & dig further into to see what the actual problem is. Thanks for posting your trials on the issues!

dstang97

I gave up on mine. Not worth putting any more time into it. I was given a mep002a that I'm currently working on. Much better generators.

Guyfang

Staff member
I got to tell you, no one loved this generator when I was fixing them. From 1973 to 1993, no one loved them. When they went to electronic ignition, it was better, but still..........................

FloridaAKM

I have the electronic conversion kit, but just haven't installed it yet, for untold reasons,,,,,,

And three crated spare engines to boot.......;)

Last edited:

rustystud

I gave up on mine. Not worth putting any more time into it. I was given a mep002a that I'm currently working on. Much better generators.
My wife was really getting pissed at me for all the money I was spending on it. I couldn't find a good power head out of four I looked at but I couldn't just give up just like FloridaAKM said. I'd spent to much money to throw it all away, so here's the new MEP-016E ! I really like the Yanmar engines. They run so smooth ! Why couldn't Onan produce a diesel like them ?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks