• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP5A conversion to 120/240V single phase split phase problems

Offgrid mountain

I just did a conversion on a MEP5A, I found a video on youtube and followed the directions to the letter. My voltages seem to be correct but I'm not getting proper gauge readings and I have no ability to regulate Hz. I cut the bus bar off of T12 and ran a jumper from T12 to T2 and I moved control wires X8HH16B from T8 to T11, X8A16B from T8 to T3 and X12EG16N from T12 to T11. My voltage from L1-L0 is 120V, From L3-L0 is 120V and L1-L3 is 240V but like I mentioned my Hz are reading at about 46Hz and I have no dial control to regulate. Can anyone tell me if I have that correct? I need to get this fixed stat, I would appreciate any advice that could be offered.
Thank you
Srean (Offgrid mountain)
Model MEP5A
Serial# RZC-50117

Scoobyshep

That conversion has nothing to do with frequency. That is driven directly from engine rpm. Were you getting 60 hz prior to the conversion? Is the manual throttle moving freely?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Guyfang

Staff member
Thats his problem. The MEP-005A is not a precise power gen set. So, the frequency is controlled by the manual throttle. There is no governor. Perhaps you need to look at the -12 operators book.

I watched that film myself. I believe he mentioned that several more wires need to be moved for the meters to read properly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks