• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP805B shut down after start

TheAlfredo

So let me start by saying I know my way around the 803, but this is my first 805B

I just picked 2 of them up from my uncle. I had load tested both of them in November and the both ran fine.
Sometime between Nov and today my cousin started one of them and it wouldn’t...he followed the tech manual and it all points to the back plane. I’ll be selling the motor off that one.
Now the 2nd 805B worked. But when I just went to start it, it started right up and shut down. The computer reset.
When it came back I up it says “Reverse Power” I can clear the fault. But when I go to start again...it cranks and the computer resets.

any help would be greatly appreciated. I plan on looking at the TM when I get home and have my computer. Hard to read it on my phone.

Attachments

Scoobyshep

So let me start by saying I know my way around the 803, but this is my first 805B

I just picked 2 of them up from my uncle. I had load tested both of them in November and the both ran fine.
Sometime between Nov and today my cousin started one of them and it wouldn’t...he followed the tech manual and it all points to the back plane. I’ll be selling the motor off that one.
Now the 2nd 805B worked. But when I just went to start it, it started right up and shut down. The computer reset.
When it came back I up it says “Reverse Power” I can clear the fault. But when I go to start again...it cranks and the computer resets.

any help would be greatly appreciated. I plan on looking at the TM when I get home and have my computer. Hard to read it on my phone.
Silly question, but is the low oil pressure shutdown message important?

Scoobyshep

No. It never started long enough to get the oil pressure up. Typically you crank until it gets up (at least it’s that way on all the analog generators.).
Ok wasnt sure if you got that far. Havent had the opportunity to play with the 80x series

TheAlfredo

So I just cranked it and held it on start while the computer rebooted. Once it was back up I let the switch go and it stayed on. Had every fault tripped. But I reset the faults and it ran well. Turned it off after 10min.

When I turned it off...the computer turned off again. On my MEP806B the computer stays on until I turn the main off. I’m assuming this should be the same?

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
So I just cranked it and held it on start while the computer rebooted. Once it was back up I let the switch go and it stayed on. Had every fault tripped. But I reset the faults and it ran well. Turned it off after 10min.

When I turned it off...the computer turned off again. On my MEP806B the computer stays on until I turn the main off. I’m assuming this should be the same?
Are your battery's in tip, top condition? The Battery charging screen said that the set was recharging the battery's, but only 10 amps. In any case, if the battery's in a TQG are not well charged, you can get faults like this.

TheAlfredo

Are your battery's in tip, top condition? The Battery charging screen said that the set was recharging the battery's, but only 10 amps. In any case, if the battery's in a TQG are not well charged, you can get faults like this.
Thanks Guyfang

New Batteries and fully charged.

I just went through the TM and couldn't find that "Reverse Power Fault" anywhere.

TheAlfredo

Do you have the set in parallel mode?

Reverse power has to do with paralleling sets.
That was the first thing I was looking for...given that message reads

"Contactor Trip - Reverse Power
Load Share Device sensed Reverse Power Conditions. Verify Load Share Device setpoints are correct"

But again, I can't fine a parallel switch. Just looked in the TM and it lists the procedure to put 2 in parallel, but a switch isn't part of the procedure.

TheAlfredo

In googling "Reverse Power Condition Generators" lead me to a term I'm familiar with "Motoring". So apparently the generator thinks it is getting power from somewhere, but its not wired into anything. Malfunction?

Scoobyshep

In googling "Reverse Power Condition Generators" lead me to a term I'm familiar with "Motoring". So apparently the generator thinks it is getting power from somewhere, but its not wired into anything. Malfunction?

Motoring or motorization is where power is forced into a generator turning it to an electric motor. reverse power can also mean a phase rotation error. Basically the 3 legs fire 180 degrees apart in sequence and when they are backwards motors can run backwards. So when paralleling if they are backwards from each other they can never sync.

To me it seems if you are getting reverse power indications it may be in parallel mode or for some reason it is looking for a reference signal to parallel.

Again never worked with the 80 series so dont take my generator specific ramblings as fact, I can just speak for sure about the physics of generation and multi source power.

TheAlfredo

Motoring or motorization is where power is forced into a generator turning it to an electric motor. reverse power can also mean a phase rotation error. Basically the 3 legs fire 180 degrees apart in sequence and when they are backwards motors can run backwards. So when paralleling if they are backwards from each other they can never sync.

To me it seems if you are getting reverse power indications it may be in parallel mode or for some reason it is looking for a reference signal to parallel.

Again never worked with the 80 series so dont take my generator specific ramblings as fact, I can just speak for sure about the physics of generation and multi source power.
Thank you

and this is why it has me puzzled

TheAlfredo

Well looks like Guy was correct. It was a battery issue. I was using a slave cable to jump from one generator to another. Guess the the computer didn't agree with it, even though the batteries were new. I installed 2 batteries into the 805B and it started right up.

Thanks everyone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks