• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep806b

Lmtv772

Banned
any thoughts on these gen sets? What do I need to look out for when I buy one? what about running it on 1 phase?

brianrbull

The MEP-806b is the 60kw 50/60hz variant of the MTQ line of Generators... Good units, Solid Built and dependable. I have 8+ years working on/With them... The things I would look for when buying one is closely examine the photos to make sure there are no missing components... Single phase is not possible (In their "Factory" configuration)

Lmtv772

Banned
I've had a MEP804 before and the generator couldn't be converted to run one phase because of how it's designed.
Hoping it's different with the 806b. Brianrbull thank you for the great advice.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
No none of the 3 phase only TQ gens can be converted to single phase. They are all 10 wire heads. The older style gens with 12 wire head can in theory be converted to single phase. That being said if you need 3 phase power they are nice gens, The 60k has a John Deere straight 6.
Will

Guyfang

Staff member
Its a solid gen set, but only three phase. The JD engine is a VERY good engine.

While I like the "computerized" gen set, it can have its problems. Like Brianrbull, I have worked lots on this set. If the SIM goes bad, it's probably hard to find another one. It will not be cheap. The same with the Backplane and main circuit board. Many of the troubleshooting threads in the TM, end by saying to change the Backplane or circuit board, and there is no way to test them. To test, you replace them. Hope you have a good part to use for testing/replacing. I once put in three Backplanes in a row, because I could not find a known good one. I ran into the same problem with the circuit board. Changing the backplane is not toooooooo hard, but the main circuit board is a PITA.

That's not to say there are lots of problems with this gen set. There isn't. But I would want to be able to lay my hands on those three parts, just in case.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have the 3 piece regulator kits for the non lcd display model. Regulator transformer and potentiometer. I always wondered why the regulator for this model comes with the 3 parts as opposed to all the other gens that the regulator is by itself.

Lmtv772

Banned
Guyfang thank you for your great advice, as always. I kind of like that screen, too. But I'm worried about what all can go wrong with it. When they show up at GOvplanet it's usually for a good reason. Like broken parts that no one could figure out the issue with.

brianrbull

You will be seeing a lot more of these on both of our Favorite Auction Sites... The Military is replacing the MTQ line of gens with the AMMPS Line.... it is the 3rd generation of military generators... supposedly more reliable, better fuel economy.... blah blah.... I like the MTQ's and will be adding a 805b to my herd...

TheAlfredo

Its a solid gen set, but only three phase. The JD engine is a VERY good engine.

While I like the "computerized" gen set, it can have its problems. Like Brianrbull, I have worked lots on this set. If the SIM goes bad, it's probably hard to find another one. It will not be cheap. The same with the Backplane and main circuit board. Many of the troubleshooting threads in the TM, end by saying to change the Backplane or circuit board, and there is no way to test them. To test, you replace them. Hope you have a good part to use for testing/replacing. I once put in three Backplanes in a row, because I could not find a known good one. I ran into the same problem with the circuit board. Changing the backplane is not toooooooo hard, but the main circuit board is a PITA.

That's not to say there are lots of problems with this gen set. There isn't. But I would want to be able to lay my hands on those three parts, just in case.
Is there any fix for a dim lit screen? The color ones are almost impossible to see. The black and white ones are not much better.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Color screens must have dash lights turned on to be visible. B&W.... i built a tool to adjust the bright/ dim

TheAlfredo

Color screens must have dash lights turned on to be visible. B&W.... i built a tool to adjust the bright/ dim

Yes I know....but even with the dash lights on....its still impossible to see. Its my first genset with a screen. My uncle has 2 805b. One with Color and one BW....he has the same issue with the color.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Verify that the backlights work, those are replaceable, i think i remember researching LED replacements as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks