• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mid recovery question M105A2

ordkhntr

Hubs are getting warm after about 40 miles at 50mph. I read the TM and it says to pull the tire obviously to service the bearings. I can't get the nuts to budge with the breaker bar , and yep. I know the left side is reverse threads. Can i got to the outer bearings without pulling the tire?

Thanks
RJ

Ps, thank God for smart phones :)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How far do you have to go?

How warm? Do you think you will actually get burned if you hold your hand on it?

goldneagle

Why not drive it slowly to a service center or tire shop on route. (a truck stop would have large air gun to do the work)

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much farther do you need to go?

If the water literally makes a noise and steam from the heat, it is too hot to continue.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you 100% sure it's not the brakes dragging? Is the drum that hot too?

ordkhntr

150 miles. water just slowly steams off. No noise. Not spitting grease. Just warmer than any of my boat trailers have gotten. Im just going to take my time and hope for a shop on the way.

Would it even help to get grease into only one side?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Carry on, and check occasionally.

ordkhntr

Good thing is i am not in a hurry. Got a thermous of coffee and my ham radio......oh and a sleeping bag. :)

Thanks for all the reply, they help to settle the nerves a bit.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Open the drain valve on the air reservoir (if equipped), that will relieve air pressure from building up & applying brakes.

Older M105 hubs have 8 cap screws (or bolts) holding them in place; newer ones have 3 phillips-head screws holding them secure. You can remove these hubcaps to have a look into the outer bearings.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can pull the hub without removing the tire. It's a little hard to deal with because of the extra weight of the tire but it can be done.

ordkhntr

45 miles to go, taking my last break. Just trying to be extra careful. An extra 15 minutes here on the end of the trip won't kill me......but if i lot a hub......well....wouldn't kill me but it sure would really stink. :)

ordkhntr

Well, made it home ok. Now its time to start cleaning it up. Think Ill start with the wheel bearings :)

and here is a pic of my new ugly beast......gotta say, not bad for $120.

20131030_125141.jpg

dmetalmiki

(you can(when you arrive home)) Undo the 6 bolts on the Axle Flange. and remove the Half shaft. Then you could see the bearings and grease status, but reoving the wheel this way would be very difficult and unwieldy without a wheel support tool. A small point , removing the tire is Not the same as removing the wheel AND tire (as) you have to remove the Tire and wheel rim to remove the tire. (properly).

DANGER>>DO NOT DO THIS, BUT
We once saw a mechenic remove some of the inner combat retaining bolts on a British truck and the tire..!removed itself!

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are going to check the bearings, make sure you have an 8 sided 3 3/8 inch socket, either locally or from '319' here on the site - see his ad in the classifieds. You can get the nuts off with a screwdriver and a small mallet, but setting the correct load when re-assembling can be problematic.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks