• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MIL-L-8383 Oil Substitute

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MIL-L-8383 oil is specified for use in the Wisconsin Robin Model 30D36R 3 KW diesel GenSet. This oil is primarily used for APUs in military aircraft that are non-turbine type. I'm looking for a civilian equivalent. I found one document that states that the military phased out MIL-L-8383 in the early 70s, but T.O. 35C2-3-499-1 dated 15MAY90 still lists it as required for use in this genset.

I'm tempted to use 15W-40 if I can't find an equivalent for MIL-L-8383.:?:

Last edited:

JDToumanian

If it's an air-cooled engine, I'd stay away from multi-grade oils.... The higher oil temperatures found in air cooled engines tend to cook off the viscosity modifying polymers of a multi-grade - aka viscosity breakdown; this may be the reason for the rare oil spec, instead of the usual "OE/HDO". Otherwise if it's liquid cooled I would think any good diesel engine oil would work great.

Why not ask Wisconsin Engines? ....Or is it Robin? By phone or e-mail, I can't imagine that they wouldn't have a helpful answer...

Wisconsin Motors, LLC. Continental, Wisconsin Engines, LP and NG fueled, air-cooled engines

http://www.robinamerica.com/

Jon

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's an air-cooled engine, I'd stay away from multi-grade oils.... The higher oil temperatures found in air cooled engines tend to cook off the viscosity modifying polymers of a multi-grade - aka viscosity breakdown - - -http://
When looking in the Air Force Tech Manual it specifically states that either straight viscosity or multi-viscosity oil can be used. For my ambient temperatures on the chart, the 14W-40 is the one indicated. I should mention that this chart includes a very wide range of single viscosities and multi-viscosity oils, all with the ML-L-8383 specification.

A friend of mine mentioned that since the ML-L-8383 specification is for aircraft APUs, it could be simply that the Air Force specifies ML-L-8383 for all reciprocating engines. I did find some information that ML-L-8383 is designed for air cooled engines that can operate in extremely cold conditions without gelling and I'm assuming that this is why they use it in APUs because at high altitude the temperatures can drop very low. However, as you mentioned, the Model 30D36R GenSet is more likely to be operating hot.

I already put the 15W-40 oil in, but now I can't get it to start. No fuel coming from injection pump. Always problems.:|

JDToumanian

When looking in the Air Force Tech Manual it specifically states that either straight viscosity or multi-viscosity oil can be used.
Wow, that must be some pretty good oil! I guess as long as it's formulated for air cooled engines.... I still don't trust it though, I'm stubborn. aua

Jon