• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mileage in the M1009

Buster

Before the lift, I was getting a consitant 25 mpg. After the 6" lift and 35's I average 20-23 mpg. Buster is my daily driver and I average 200-250 miles a day. My worst mileage has been 18 mpg and I had my foot in it hard about all day. I get the same mileage empty or pulling the bass boat.

85-m1028

Warren Lovell said:
Can you post some photos of your truck with the lift? Who made your lift and what problems did you encounter?

warren
skyjacker has always made great kits, most problems are usualy in removing the rusted on hardware, "soak em a few times with a penetrant and let sit for a day and this wil help" and remember to get new U-bolts, if going for 35" tires I would recomend not going over 4" of lift the blazers shorter wheel base can make it unstable with taller lifts, I know guys running 2" lifts with extended shackles in front and some fender trimming and they do really well out on the trails!! I plan on running 4" some shackles and 39"-40" tires but I like em low and stable, I have seen some rollovers with guys showboating 6"-8" lift all beacuase they didn't want to trim a little fender, now it's in the body shop having the roof popped out, I know it could happen to anyone but why increase your odds?? of course you'll probably say "I don't really do that much offroading" in which case I'll just have to laugh :lol: so theres my [2cents]

Buster

I'm taking fresh pics of the truck today, but won't get them posted for a day or so. I'm out of town using the in-laws computer.

I lifted the front 5" using 4" Tough Country springs and a 1" Zero Rate from ORD. The rear I did a shade tree shackle flip and 2" block degreed to correct pinion angle. I don't like blocks and one day will replace the springs. This truck is very capable offroad and I have been very pleased. It's a truck and I treat it that way. We've been to the trails numerous times and will be going out next month to really test our abilities at Barnwell. I prefer climbing trails much more than mud, that crap just gets everywhere and gets boring quick. Steve, TxsTruck can attest that I put the truck through it's paces. It may be my daily driver, but I take it to the trails as often as time allows. A couple of us try to go out atleast a couple times a month.

Warren Lovell

I think I might lift mine 2" and go to 33" tires. Will I have rubbing problems?
I wish I could adapt the humvee rims to the blazer , even thought they are pretty heavy.

Warren

gunhog11

mangus580 said:
I average between 16-18 :banghead:

I keep hearing these rumors about 20-25, but havent ever seen it in mine!!
I experience the same thing. Granted, my highway miles are at average of 65-70 going from AZ to NM and back, so I do wonder if going 55-60 would actually change anything. Doubt it, but I'm :banghead: also, like you.

dilvoy

Warren, The Humvee 37x12.5 radials weigh 90 lbs. That tire mounted onto a military 12 bolt wheel with the radial type beadlock weighs 147 lbs. The Humvee wheels are 16.5" tall and don't have an internal bead at each rim like the 16" wheels do, so if you have a blow out the bead will separate from the rim really quickly. That's why I'm running the beadlocks on my Radial street tires. I'm not really worried about loosing control so much as am not wanting the tire messing up the vehicle as it flaps around before it takes off into the wild blue yonder. The Military went with the old 16.5 wheel design, so a person would not have a problem removing the wheel halves from the tire and all the old bias wheels had those Magnesium run flats inside that doubled as bead locks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks