• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military Fuel

m139h2otruck

Any idea of the type of fuel used by the military? The reason for this question is that the fuel in the M812A1 looked like butterscotch pudding and smelled like a chemical factory with a slightly sweet alcohol smell. Didn't start good but ran OK and idled good. This stuff is at least 3 years old and original to the truck as the owner I bought it from never did a thing to the truck since picking it up in Limestone, Maine.

Just to be sure, I drained all the fuel (30 gallons) and replaced with straight #2 (65 gallons), with the addition of some small cans of booster and bio guard. Drained fuel had almost no free water and very little silt/rust in it.

rmgill

Most likely that's VERY contaminated fuel. Could be due to the temperature that it was slightly gelled and was a higher gelling point diesel. Typical fuels you should see are either some form of diesel, JP5 or JP8. Both of those are very unlikely to gel as they have some additives and are of course kerosine.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
JP-8 is the standard fuel for the Army, but Guard and Reserve units sometimes use normal Diesel from the neighborhood fill up station. Sounds like you got some BAD fuel.... Drain everything and replace the fuel filters..... Put in fresh stuff.

m139h2otruck

Just got the new filter, WIX #33401. Big money!! $43+ each, but it is a big unit and should last. Like I said above, already completely drained and refilled the tank, and what ever was left in the lines should be diluted enough in the 65 gallons of new fresh fuel.

Any other 800/900 series owners out there in colder climates (like NH)? How does your big Cummins start? Mine cranks real good and smokes white fuel smoke, but does not light off well. Just the sight of an ether bottle and it fires right off. Thought it was the fuel, but still doing it after the fuel change. Still have to install the correct batteries & I am sure that this will help with the cranking speed. Also, the truck has spent the last 3-4 years just setting around idling and low speed driving and it really needs to get out on the road and run hard to clean everything out.

my 800 starts fairly well. sometimes it still looses its prime and requires a lot of cranking. you mentioned your truck did a lot of idling in the past. excessive idling is not good. usually people dont bump the rpms up and they not only idle cold, but the upper cyl walls don't get lubed. that tends to raise heck with the rings. I'm not a diesel mechanic buy i've been around a little and i have listened. does the smoke clear up when it warms up to operating temp?

m139h2otruck

Dave P, does your truck still have and use the "hot start" flame heater in the intake? Mine was removed at some time in the past, so I have no assist on that end of things. The exhaust clears right up after the engine gets to temperature, with some smoke on blipping the throttle. Sounds real tight and smooth with good acceleration so I think the motor's OK, just not satisfied with the cold start.

jeli

When it's cold the first thing I do is hold the pedal to the floor until it fires. Lots of white smoke until it heats up a bit. Below zero starts in my motorpool we couldn't start all at once because if I got going before the next guy he had to leave due to the exhaust!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks