• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military Police Signs

judyronm

I was in Vietnam in the military police. I have a nice M151A2 and would like to put a military
police sign on the front and back. Has anyone run into any issues with the law ?

dilligaf13

That's a question that needs to be answered by law enforcement in your specific state. Blue lights (and only when activated on a vehicle, by non law enforcement personnel) is one of the big no no's. But like I said, each state is different so consult the locals to avoid any hassle.

NovacaineFix

Most states have something in the vehicle code about red/blue lights forward facing being illegal. Now some states/counties will permit the use of blue forward facing lights if you are a member of a volunteer fire company, but I would check to see if you need to be permitted for that before installing them.

In California, or at least here in San Diego, if you are not a peace officer any lights red/blue forward facing must be covered. I worked at a shop several years ago, working on CHP cars, we had to cover the light bars up if they were equipped so not to get stopped and ticketed. The same goes when they have volunteers working for the PD and CHP. In the photos below, these are non-peace officer volunteers, who assist police but do not have arresting powers. The CHP car has clear LED's but are yellow/amber when lit.

7580382916_da63acb35e.jpg5914176699_3fe124368f.jpg

Now your state may have different rules, so best to check with the vehicle code or just ask a LEO.

Now one way around this, is to install clear lens LED's that are red or blue when lit, I found these on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/DT-MOTO-Police-Vehicle-Warning/dp/B004SX5HMG

Now using them can get you in trouble unless used off-road where most of the vehicle codes don't really apply.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put lights on it and the markings and turn them on and drive by a LEO. When he pulls you over and gives you a ticket you will know which law applies. ;-)

Just kidding, don't do that. I have contacts with the sheriff's office and when I have a legal question I ask them. Sometimes that works and sometimes not.

Quick search produced this:

[h=1]2012 South Carolina Code of Laws
Title 56 - Motor Vehicles
Chapter 5 - UNIFORM ACT REGULATING TRAFFIC ON HIGHWAYS
Section 56-5-4830 - Special restrictions on lamps; degree of intensity; red, blue and flashing lights.[/h]
[FONT=&quot]Universal Citation: SC Code § 56-5-4830 (2012)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Any lighted lamp or illuminating device upon a motor vehicle, other than head lamps, spot lamps, auxiliary lamps, flashing turn signals, emergency vehicle warning lamps, and school bus warning lamps, which project a beam of light of an intensity greater than three hundred candlepower shall be so directed that no part of the high intensity portion of the beam will strike the level of the roadway on which the vehicle stands at a distance of more than seventy-five feet from the vehicle. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A person shall not drive, move, or park any vehicle or equipment upon a highway with a lamp or device on it displaying a red or blue light visible from directly in front of the center of it. This section shall not apply to a vehicle upon which a red or blue light visible from the front is expressly authorized or required by this chapter. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Flashing lights are prohibited except on an authorized emergency vehicle, school bus, snow-removal equipment, or on any vehicle as a means of indicating a right or left turn or the presence of a vehicular traffic hazard requiring unusual care in approaching, overtaking, or passing. [/FONT]

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing to make sure you check for your state is whether or not the code says it is a violation to be equipped with specific items. This means that some items are illegal to have on your vehicle even if they are not being used.

For example, in Texas you can have a vehicle equipped with red/blue lights (unless you are a security guard. That has someone's name on it!) so long as you do not turn them on while on the road; but you may not be equipped with a siren except on an emergency vehicle (police/fire/EMS).
Now, equipped by Texas law means functioning, so collectors usually have easy disconnects for vehicles that need to have a siren mounted for accuracy. Before they go on the road, they disconnect and remove part of the wiring and put it in the glovebox or wherever, so the siren is not functional.
Most also disconnect any red or blue lights as well, just to be sure of avoiding "Imperial entanglements".

Cheers.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is interesting how different it is in the various states. Here in Arizona, blue is okay as long as its not with red.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is interesting how different it is in the various states. Here in Arizona, blue is okay as long as its not with red.
And K-Mart blue lights are exempt everywhere. :)

The state differences are what kills a few threads on the site....you know the ones.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks