• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military Vic Serves Again

SomeNewGuy

So I've entered into negotiations for a contract overseas.

I have been informed that I can drive whatever I wish, even ship the M1009 out to myself under the stipulation I pay for the shipping/logistics. We have family in the area, so that won't be too hard and shipping is affordable.

Some background: This is not a country heavily supported by the US, most vics are civvies repurposed. " Cú Chulainn " as I call him is stock outside the 6in lift and new 32in tires with 37in wrangler 2s on hand, she also has the headlights and foglights replaced with projector LEDs for plenty of brightness, and I am looking at adding a dimmer switch. The truck would mainly be logistics-like and wouldn't go outside the wire. My job would be mainly a support role(intel), and the only time outside the wire would be on foot anyway. All said, I can run my gear and the radios at the same time so long as the engine is running. What would you reccomend outside a generator if someone needed 120 watts to draw from for extended periods of time. I wouldn't leave for another 3 months, so I have time to do work and there is a sizeable bonus when joining up that can be used for conversions.

I've been going over the wiring and have already started getting her ready to accept some of my old home made gear that worked for me in the corps, as well as NATO+private radios. I higly doubt I'll need to doze anything or really use it too harshly, but is there any situation you can think of that maybe I am missing? Somthing I can add to increase the trucks usefulness/survivability?

My questions are the following:
1: I'm not entirely convinced that somehow adding armor is worth it as the truck will be employed as day to day logistics ect. IF I were to add anything, what would be the best material to add to the doors/engine bay and how would YOU do it?

2: As stated it currently has a 6 in lift with 6 leaf springs. Would I be better to add the 5/4 axels and 9/10 springs to up the weight capacity but lose 4 in of lift, or am I missing something with that conversion? That being said, should I trade the ability to go over rough terrain in areas that have been bombed/shelled for almost a decade for the ability to haul more crap?

3: Is there anything you would add to the trusk/change in a situation like this?

4: I have already taken the truck to one shop for a look over and gotten the thumbs up, I'll be taking it to another next week for a second opinion. Seems all is well and drives great. Excellent MPG, no bits in the engine or transmission oil, transfercase just got rebuilt. I have extra relays, fuses, pitman arms, drag links and an entire new set of suspention on hand. Any other parts I should get in order to quickly have on hand while in storage at the families place overseas? (Realistically, not a whole engine)

I cant bring my wife, I cant bring my dog. I CAN bring my truck, and I WILL. Olive Drab is a fitting color for the scene anyway. Help a brother put a truck back to use for its purpose.

(No HILUX additions, I'm not with the Mujhadeen)

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I've entered into negotiations for a contract overseas.

I have been informed that I can drive whatever I wish, even ship the M1009 out to myself under the stipulation I pay for the shipping/logistics. We have family in the area, so that won't be too hard and shipping is affordable.

Some background: This is not a country heavily supported by the US, most vics are civvies repurposed. " Cú Chulainn " as I call him is stock outside the 6in lift and new 32in tires with 37in wrangler 2s on hand, she also has the headlights and foglights replaced with projector LEDs for plenty of brightness, and I am looking at adding a dimmer switch. The truck would mainly be logistics-like and wouldn't go outside the wire. My job would be mainly a support role(intel), and the only time outside the wire would be on foot anyway. All said, I can run my gear and the radios at the same time so long as the engine is running. What would you reccomend outside a generator if someone needed 120 watts to draw from for extended periods of time. I wouldn't leave for another 3 months, so I have time to do work and there is a sizeable bonus when joining up that can be used for conversions.

I've been going over the wiring and have already started getting her ready to accept some of my old home made gear that worked for me in the corps, as well as NATO+private radios. I higly doubt I'll need to doze anything or really use it too harshly, but is there any situation you can think of that maybe I am missing? Somthing I can add to increase the trucks usefulness/survivability?

My questions are the following:
1: I'm not entirely convinced that somehow adding armor is worth it as the truck will be employed as day to day logistics ect. IF I were to add anything, what would be the best material to add to the doors/engine bay and how would YOU do it?

2: As stated it currently has a 6 in lift with 6 leaf springs. Would I be better to add the 5/4 axels and 9/10 springs to up the weight capacity but lose 4 in of lift, or am I missing something with that conversion? That being said, should I trade the ability to go over rough terrain in areas that have been bombed/shelled for almost a decade for the ability to haul more crap?

3: Is there anything you would add to the trusk/change in a situation like this?

4: I have already taken the truck to one shop for a look over and gotten the thumbs up, I'll be taking it to another next week for a second opinion. Seems all is well and drives great. Excellent MPG, no bits in the engine or transmission oil, transfercase just got rebuilt. I have extra relays, fuses, pitman arms, drag links and an entire new set of suspention on hand. Any other parts I should get in order to quickly have on hand while in storage at the families place overseas? (Realistically, not a whole engine)

I cant bring my wife, I cant bring my dog. I CAN bring my truck, and I WILL. Olive Drab is a fitting color for the scene anyway. Help a brother put a truck back to use for its purpose.

(No HILUX additions, I'm not with the Mujhadeen)
[/Q Sounds like a secret mission. Stay safe. Sounds like Ukraine.

Skinny

You are working ina foreign country without US support and your first choice of transportation is a 38 year old CUCV?

I'd scrap that idea pretty quickly and pick up some wheels locally or buy something built to US spec that most closely resembles what is available locally.

Which probably makes that a Toyota, VW, Nissan...

When in Rome...

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are working ina foreign country without US support and your first choice of transportation is a 38 year old CUCV?

I'd scrap that idea pretty quickly and pick up some wheels locally or buy something built to US spec that most closely resembles what is available locally.

When in Rome...
Yeah, and also driving around in an American OD Green military vehicle also won't draw much attention. I would leave my toy at home and lay real low.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yeah, and also driving around in an American OD Green military vehicle also won't draw much attention. I would leave my toy at home and lay real low.
I have to agree. Yeah, nothing would be much higher on the COOL FACTOR scale than having your own MV where you are in some foreign country. But on the other hand - when you are for example the only tank - then YOU become THE TARGET. Everybody wants to shoot the thing that nobody else has.

Have to agree that if these folks have tan or white Toyota trucks (kinda like those folks over in the sandbox) you would blend in. Blending in ESPECIALLY if there is only one of you might be the difference in staying alive and becoming a casualty.

SomeNewGuy

When in Rome...
It would essentially be my personal vic, if the truck goes down I woukdnt be stranded or something.

SomeNewGuy

I have to agree. Yeah, nothing would be much higher on the COOL FACTOR scale than having your own MV where you are in some foreign country. But on the other hand - when you are for example the only tank - then YOU become THE TARGET. Everybody wants to shoot the thing that nobody else has.

Have to agree that if these folks have tan or white Toyota trucks (kinda like those folks over in the sandbox) you would blend in. Blending in ESPECIALLY if there is only one of you might be the difference in staying alive and becoming a casualty.

Excellent points...
May bring the truck but leave it at the families an just use when rotated to the rear

ssdvc

Not sure where you'll be going (and in most "hot spots" you can't bring your POV anyway), what you will be doing (intel??) or for whom you be doing whatever for, but take the advice of the folks above. Leave the Born in the USA truck in VA and get some cheap POS that belongs in the environment you'll be working in. Even if the area is benign, blending in is important. In an area that may be slightly unfriendly, blending in could be a lifesaver. An intel wonk would know that.

SomeNewGuy

Not sure where you'll be going (and in most "hot spots" you can't bring your POV anyway), what you will be doing (intel??) or for whom you be doing whatever for, but take the advice of the folks above. Leave the Born in the USA truck in VA and get some cheap POS that belongs in the environment you'll be working in. Even if the area is benign, blending in is important. In an area that may be slightly unfriendly, blending in could be a lifesaver. An intel wonk would know that.
Intel wonk also gets a drunken hair up his ass at 1am.

Not a hot spot like the sandbox was. You are correct I wasnt allowed to take my truck there, however this is a more 'peaceful' part of the world.

Points on blending already accepted. If the truck does come with, it'll be left with the family for use when I get my month off.

nyoffroad

Why would you want to pay $$$ to ship something both ways that will make you a stick out? If your doing intel work don't you want to blend in?

Reactions: D6T

ssdvc

Why would you want to pay $$$ to ship something both ways that will make you a stick out? If your doing intel work don't you want to blend in?
I don't think he is "that type" of an intel guy. Probably a desk jockey working local economic and routine political issues. Otherwise he never would have mentioned anything about intel to begin with. That said, the blend in mantra still applies.

SomeNewGuy

I don't think he is "that type" of an intel guy. Probably a desk jockey working local economic and routine political issues. Otherwise he never would have mentioned anything about intel to begin with. That said, the blend in mantra still applies.
If ya mean "intel guy" like jack reacher or some shit outta the movies no way.
But not much for the desk work either.
"Intel" is a very general term, and was only given as cursory information.

At the same time, in my OP, support role was specified, and no attempt at seeming something other than was made. If you cant read, Im not sure I can help.

Blend mantra stands, and as stated is a very fair point.

Only 1500 usd for shipping (they say up to 30 days, but I would expect 60 and let the family on the other end pick it up if its early), a small price to pay for a designated personal vehicle overseas.

This being said, only reason I decided to reply is because ssdvc seemed to think I was portraying myself as some slick operator, and I do not wish to be portrayed as something I am not.

At times, a drunken fool at 1 am excited after reading an email that I have the opportunity to bring my truck with me? Certainly.

"That kind" of intel, implying god knows what other than a support role as specified. Certainly not.

I hope the air is cleared, and we can let this thread die.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks