• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military WMO filter

dixiepc

I read about a WMO filter that the military used during WWII. It uses a series of stainless steel filters and some kind of desiccant to clean and de-water the oil. Does anyone know if there is a TM that might have some info about this process?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any idea what they used WMO for then?

Is this excerpt from another forum, what propted this question?

There is a company in Georgia that makes a filter set up using stainless
screens. I lost the link when my computer crashed. There was a article in Farm
Show magazine about it. It said it was world war 2 technology used by the us
military because fuel was hard to come by. They claimed to have run it in all
brands of diesel pick-ups. I have heard that the DS4 electronic pump optical
sensor will not like it. They used diesel fuel to thin it. Gas would eat some of
the seals in the pumps possibly

Last edited:

dixiepc

That's where I saw this to begin with. I have no idea for sure what they used, I assume that they used anything that they had available at the time.
I just thought that if this was viable technology, and I could find some more information about it, I would try to build a setup myself. That company wants $3000 for their setup.

Beyond Biodiesel

Gasoline will not "eat" any seals in a diesel engine; however, the alcohol that is commonly added to gasoline at about 10% will. Nonetheless, if gasoline content in a waste oil blend is at or below 30%, then all of the seals ever used in a diesel engine will not be affected by the alcohol in modern gasoline blends.

There is a second problem with WMO. It can be a saturated colloid with soot from blow-by, which is very hard to remove, because the particle size in a colloid is so small that they will pass right through the smallest pores of any filter. However, centrifuges have been shown to be affective in removing the sub-micron particles.

There; however, is a 3rd problem with WMO. It can have a high dissolved solids content. These dissolved solids can lead to coking and increased engine wear. The dissolved solids cannot be removed with either a filter or a centrifuge. The only way to remove dissolved solids from a solution is through distillation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks