• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

minimizing the mess

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm new to this, so I'm OK with you telling me I'm wrong. Everytime oil is transferred there is some spillage / leakage. Sop it up with rags, now I got oily rags to deal with. Everything has a film of oil on it, attracting dirt , so now everything is oily AND dirty. I'm willing to trade cargo space in the CUCV in exchange for fewer oil transfers. Some one mentioned he has a tank onboard that he fills with the raw oil then drains off the undesireable products thru a valve system ? Pumps thru pre & post filters? I dunno, maybe this just isnt for me.

scoutmanadam

on my drums i have a plastic garbage sack with holes in it were the fillers are, i also have them in a holding tank that is filled with absorbent material. everying is done over the holding tank. i change the bags out when they get bad. keeps things pretty clean. when i fill my final tank, i dump it in a gas can, then let the nozzle drip into the absorbent material to get the last bit still in the nozzle

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
one of the reasons I don't burn any more WMO than I do is because of the mess. I don't know of any way to keep it 100% clean. You can minimize your mess if you're careful.

oddshot

Ball valves on EVERYTHING helps a lot. Don't buy plastic ones.

5 gallon plastic buckets are very useful to drain/hang hoses and etc. into.

All dirty rags go into an old coffee can for disposal.

Also ... a couple flat pans under anything you're going to disconnect catches a lot of the mess.

Last edited: