• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Missing front spring set parts

Awesome Possum

I did search for this but found no specific answer. I even had to draw a picture 'cause I forgot my camera today! Problem is that my front spring set did not come with the plates that sit between the axle and the springs themselves. I thought about lift blocks going in this spot and can't find any reason why I couldn't have a couple of 1/2" plates made up to sit between the axle and the springs, provided a hole is drilled in the middle of the plate. In the drawing, the missing part is red, the axle is blue, shackles are purple and the upper and lower plates are orange.(No I didn't flunk art school: I NEVER went!)

On a related subject, it looks as though the lower plates would require both shocks go in the same direction, presumably backwards. Any problems here?

This bob is getting so close I can taste it..... WOO HOO!!!

Attachments

Awesome Possum

That red part is for caster(or camber, not sure which). No need for it on a rear axle.
The only problem is there is a bolt head coming out from the bottom of the spring that has to be allowed for. The top bracket has a hole allowing for clearance of the other end of this bolt (which holds the spring pack together).

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the stock set-up on the front axle you need these parts ("spring seat, lower leg", drawing below).....
For the rear you might be able to adapt some 3/4" plates but have to drill those two holes, accordingly.

G.

Attachments

tco3129

I had same problem. Bought a piece of scrap 3/4 thick plate and fabbed my own. I cut it large enough to capture the Ubolts AND the locator tab. 1/2" will do but the 3/4 was on top of the pile.
Measure thrice, drill once.[thumbzup]
Don't forget to grind a relief grove for the axel tube weld

Last edited:

ranchhopper

I would find a set of those wedges that go between the spring and axle they line your pinion up with the TC so you wont have such a sharp angle to your driveline. I used them in the trucks I bobbed and glad I did I know a guy in wisconsin that can set you up with a set or two..

Last edited:

Awesome Possum

Thanks, Everyone! I'll see if I can get the piece from my original source, then I'll try others. I'd feel much better about having the original peice in place.

Last edited:

DUECE-COUPE

if you are going to use the spring kit from a trailer to get you axle mounted, then use the plate between the main spring pack and the helper springs. it is the right width, and has a hole in it already

Awesome Possum

Good news...I got the parts from the same guy I got the springs from over 6 months ago-no charge. He's always been a great guy to deal with. I just had to know that I had some options yesterday so that I wouldn't stay up all night worrying about it. Thanks for your help, all.:jumpin:

I'm going to post some pics, in the pic section, of the bobber this guy is working on for a customer. Gotta' say it's the most unusual bobber I've seen.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks