• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mixing hemtt and combat rims on m51?

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
I have 4 hemtt rims, and can get 2 combat rims locally. If I run the combat rims on the front will the tires all line up? I don't want a goofy offset between the 4 hemtt in the back and the 2 combat up front.

Thanks!

tobyS

That is going to put less dish out on the rear and be setting narrower on the front than if the HEMTT wheels were in the front. Can you get 2 more combat wheels to have the combat with dish out on the rear?

tobyS

The HEMTT is closer to the center line of the rim by a noticeable amount. That means the dish out will be several inches narrower track on the rear than using combats with large offset and dish out. On the front with dish in, the HEMTT is a couple inches wider track.....looks good but I don't know about being in exactly the same line.

tobyS

Isn't the HEMTT needed on the front when using 16.00 to clear the steering arm?

Looking back, the OP didn't say tire size.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't the HEMTT needed on the front when using 16.00 to clear the steering arm?

Looking back, the OP didn't say tire size.
On 939series trucks yes.

On 809series trucks (and presumably the older multifuels) i think so, but I'm not sure. I didn't mentioned it because he didn't mention tire size.

Usually, the only reason you see hemtt rims mixed with combat wheel is to clear 16.00's on the front.

My preference is hemtt rims all the way around.

tobyS

you will have a slightly narrower stance with the HEMTT rims on the rear, thus I like to keep the combat with dish out on the rear. With 16.00, better use them on front. Sent a pm about a trade.

I really like the older style body with the 16.00. And if people here are right, there is not the same transfer case explosion problem when backing in low reverse with the t-138, that the 929 has.....thus the bigger tire torque is not as prone to bust your transfer case.

No way would I go to 16.00 on a 929 because of tc breaks.... but sure does look cool.

tobyS

Tire size makes a difference in my opinion, because the torque is so much greater. On a dump, I don't know about you, but I back up on my load and use the gate to push new materials I dump. I got that habit with my 817 but the 929 has an intermediate (t-1138) shaft that wants to climb the gears next to it on an extreme low angle and force the output and input shafts apart....breaking the housing.

Moral of the story is that I think the 16.00 should set on the widest track possible for the dumper (and that your transfer case seems more likely to handle it).

Last edited:

tobyS

Either one will work on the back as shown but the front probably needs the HEMTT rims. I would like the HEMTT rims if you decide to sell/trade for 2 more combats.

I guess there is no reason you can't run a mixed set in the rear with what you have.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks