• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mixing tire types

sideburnie

I see a lot of FMTVs on govplanet with mixed tire types (or with mixed tread wear). Given the always-connected transfer case, this seems like a no-no? Maybe because the transfer case and interaxle dif are only "locked" in "mode" it's not a problem? I searched but did not find. Mods, if this has been covered, please delete. Many thanks!

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
In general I prefer to have matched tires. The system allows the front and rear axles to turn at slightly different speeds if the center diff is not in locked mode. Front and rear diffs are both one legs so slight differences in tires will not really affect anything. You shouldnt use locked center diff mode on paved road. Many of the trucks up for auction have had needed parts swapped out or cannabalized. Things on these trucks might not be done on an in service truck.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome. No this subject has not been covered. In my opinion, mix- matching Goodyear and Michelin tires on the same truck is very poor fleet management by Uncle. In a panic brake situation, this can throw the truck into a spin.

sideburnie

Thanks! Glad you guys have built this community. Really helpful for newbs like me.

Suprman said:
In general I prefer to have matched tires. The system allows the front and rear axles to turn at slightly different speeds if the center diff is not in locked mode. Front and rear diffs are both one legs so slight differences in tires will not really affect anything. You shouldnt use locked center diff mode on paved road. Many of the trucks up for auction have had needed parts swapped out or cannabalized. Things on these trucks might not be done on an in service truck.
Thanks for the input! Definitely have my eye on your 1088 and 1083.

So sounds like less an issue with transfer case wear and more an issue with safety? Would most people consider the transfer case unmarred and just put newish matching tires on a rig they pick up that has mismatched ones?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks