• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MK48 Cab Replacement Project

ZZ4x4

In this series, I hooked the new cab to the lift and placed it up on the frame body mounts. I slowly rolled it into position and walked around to reconnect the steering shaft during the process. It was a one man job start to finish ( with the lift). It was very nice that all new hardware ( mounts, bolts, plates) came with the new cab. Everything went together very well. There were a few minor items that I needed to correct after hooking up the electrical systems and firing up the engine. There was a rather large air leak at one of the wiper switches. Had to cut the air line and replace a ferrule. Also the heater fan would come on full even with the switch off. Found a bent terminal on the switch shorting itself. And the last issue was that the steering was VERY hard to turn. After loosening the 90 degree boxes I found the carrier bearing at the cab pass-through was not aligned. When the 90 degree boxes were tightened, it bound the steering shaft at the carrier bearing. All is corrected now and the camo pattern has been re-applied. Since the lift mechanism was built for this cab swap, I no longer need it. I would donate it to anyone that can use it ( for the cost of the steel and casters). It would actually work well as a boat engine lift I think.

Attachments

RDUKW

I just got my engine back in and the cab on last Friday. It was nice to hear it fire again :). Next weeks project is finish the paint work.

Ryan

86m1028

Got to see it in person today (after cab swap & paint).

Truck looks GREAT !!!

I got a ride in it today �� Truck is AWSOME !!!!

Only disappointment was not being able to help with cab swap.

Thanks again Jeff

Now I want to see you pull my m989a1 around with it.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
J,

You've been busy and I must say that it looks great. Glad it went back together as easy as it did. So, will the new cab help get better MPG's?

You need a CUCV for 'non heavy' type chores for you and H.

I've been near this beast several times last year. She was great looking BEFORE he swapped the cab. It will look better now. Did you install a 'key' into it for 'power control' like you and I discussed? Or does the new cab have a lock on both doors?

ZZ4x4

Hey Jim, Thanks for the compliments. I decided not to install the ignition key on this one. Finally noticed there is a padlock plate on the steering column to lock it in place as needed for security. I figure that, along with disconnecting the battery, will keep the thing from wandering off. Based on the experiences at the shows this year we had to disconnect the battery anyway to keep the kids from honking the horn and draining the battery! See you soon, Jeff

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks