• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Modern tire size to replace 900x16

rickf

So true. I'm researching this same topic which is how I came up with the 315. I also found another tire but you loose even more OD (~2"):
255/85R16 @ 33.1" (6.5" min rim recommended)
vs
315/75R16 @ 34.6" (7.5" min rim recommended)
I think the stock tires are in the 33-34" range. My other 37 is half buried in the weeds so I can't get an accurate measurement.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only thing my feeble brain could not wrap around was the hmmwv rim half studs and nuts are not beveled seats so if that is now the point of attachment on the new adapter plate how are they "true and centered"
Many ways to accomplish that.....

Correct option would be a plate with a step machined to it on its backside, fitting snuggly into the opening of the now modified outer half (cut & turned on the lathe).

Easiest (& cheapest) way: a few weld spots on the wheel inside, after confirming that everything is bolted together and running true.

John Mc

STA Superlug 9.00-16 tires have a more modern tread design than the original NDT tires. These are Bias ply tires. They are sold by Vintage Power Wagon and by Coker Tire (and probably some other sources as well). They are 36.3" diameter. I've seen them on an M37, and they look good. Much better in wet or snow than the NDT tires.

I also like the Michelin XZL 9.00R16 tires. These are radials. Outside diameter is also 36.3" diameter. If you want something in close to the original stock size, I think these look great on the truck and have better traction than the NDTs. Unfortunately these seem to be just about impossible to find in the US these days. In Europe, you will sometimes see these referred to as Michelin XZL 255/100R16.

If you don't mind going to a larger size tires, I have Michelin XZL 11.00R16 tires on my M37. Diameter is 38.7" They fit the stock rims and there is no rubbing with the stock suspension with the wheels fully turned. Those are what are on my truck in my profile picture. This size Michelin XZL is not difficult to find in the US. Colony Tire in Norfolk VA is where I got mine (try Nate Potts npotts@colonytire.com if you are interested).

Last edited:

rickf

Dang! I went right past Norfolk on Thursday with that M37 on the trailer!!! Could have stopped in. But I am guessing those 11.00's are far from cheap!!

Thanks for all of the size verifications, that kind of helps me zoom in a little. I want to stay in the same ballpark. I do not want to go smaller diameter for sure.

John Mc

Dang! I went right past Norfolk on Thursday with that M37 on the trailer!!! Could have stopped in. But I am guessing those 11.00's are far from cheap!!

Thanks for all of the size verifications, that kind of helps me zoom in a little. I want to stay in the same ballpark. I do not want to go smaller diameter for sure.
Yes, the 11.00R16 is not cheap. Last I checked about 5 or 6 months ago they were getting $450 each for them. (They were a little bit cheaper when I got mine a couple of years ago.)

Colony Tire used to have the Michelin XZL in the 9.00R16 as well as the 11.00R16, but the last few times I've checked, the 9.00 were unavailable, and they weren't sure if/when they would get any more in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks