• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

more brake questions, but a different take

Chinookpilot77

does the master cylinder have enough volume to run two air packs?

It wouldn't be a totally redundant system, but I was thinking it would be by far the easiest way to reach some level of redundancy without having to reinvent the wheel.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think this will help you any. I could be wrong but you're still only going to have one reservoir and when some thing happens it will still run it dry and you'll have no brakes. Could be worse from the fact that you'll have more places to have a problem with another airpack and the associated plumbing.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I think the later deuces had a dual master cylinder to prevent the loss of all fluid and to prevent the 'OHHHHHH Chit.....no brakes" syndrome.
The air pack actuated the master cylinder (I think) not the other way around.
I could be wrong.

Unforgiven

Volume w/stock MC is not a problem. I am looking for better than stock performance.

I've looked at the dual airpack systems & they are okay for the stock system & 2 would give redundancy w/split MC. The Hydromax Spicer guy is right. Pull the air stuff off & run pure hydraulics. You'll stop quicker & safer.

Yes, 2 will work. I've seen a few posts here w/2. All the stock MC does is engage the air & give limited emergency braking. You could put six on if you like. Air failure = basically no brakes w/o split MC & limited brakes w/split mc.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Air failure = basically no brakes w/o split MC & limited brakes w/split mc.
If you have an air failure you'll have the same amount of brakes with either MC. It will stop you but you're going to have to press the pedal pretty hard.

Unforgiven

I found out the problem is the government supplier for the A3 w/dual MC circuits will not release the MC to the general public.

That would have been the logical, viable upgrade. But if the government wants to be a bung hole ... I'll go with HydroMax. Like the dual circuit A3 is Space Shuttle technology or something.

stumps

I found out the problem is the government supplier for the A3 w/dual MC circuits will not release the MC to the general public.

That would have been the logical, viable upgrade. But if the government wants to be a bung hole ... I'll go with HydroMax. Like the dual circuit A3 is Space Shuttle technology or something.
I doubt the government is driving this refusal.

I would bet the real reason the vendor won't sell to any but the government is they don't want to take on the risk and liability for this system if sold to the general public. It is possible that they don't really believe in the safety of this system, but are just supplying what the government asked them to.

-Chuck

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not the govt, it's AM General. The only thing you can do is find a parted out later one -or an A3. You might try memphis for the master cylinder (about $250)and for the mount look in the TM section for the instructions on how to convert the system (for the p/n) and call tom at CSI and see if they can get the master cylinder adapter. By the time you pay for all that though you'd probably be better off selling your truck and buying a later one.:roll:

thehaas

i thought about brakes think i would mount two rotors and calibers on axle on ft and rear of upper double reductin shaft with separate master cylinder could use as assist on down hills kind of like monster trucks

thehaas

oh i forgot had my trailer behind duece 3000 lbs with 10000 lbs kubota on trailer truck really had trouble stopping .i went slow down hills in 1st gear some second .going up some hills 1st really bogged down almost had to put in low on flat roads it was great just did not like down hills.truck is so heavy its already hauling big load its self ,maybe eliminating tires down to singles might make diff each tires got to weigh 200 thats 800 off plus cetrifical force

Jake0147

With 13000 pounds behind you the truck is supposed to be slow. The braking distance should NOT be significantly increased by adding a trailer. If it is, investigate the trailer brakes. They are not working, they are working but not well, or they are not being adequately supplied by the truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks