• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

More glow plug questions

rdragoo

My M1008 has apparantly failed two glow plugs. These look pretty old and I'm not surprised some failed. I've read every glow plug article until I'm tired of reading. I want to do this the best way, and buy the right parts the first time so I'm asking questions from folks who have been down this road before. Is it possible to just eliminate the resistor bank, and run 24v glow plugs? This seems simpler and more reliable. I once read that the controller would not sense voltage drop correctly or I could damage it this way, but I can't find that post any more. Anyone tried 24v glow plugs without the resistors?
Randy
Tehachapi, CA

MATT

On our trucks we eliminate the resistor, send a 12v wire from one bat to a 12v solenoid, and install ac delco 60g plugs with a momentary glow plug switch in the cab. The glow plugs are all "pulling" off one battery but I haven't had any problems for 3 years with 6 trucks. Our trucks are mainly driven in the summer. More opinions and options will follow...

rdragoo

Thanks for the reply. I've read the option of using one battery and no resistors for 12volts to the glow plugs. I just wondered if I could keep 24 volts to the glow plugs if I removed the resistors and ran true 24volt glow plugs. I'm just not sure if the controller would be affected????
Randy

CCATLETT1984

yes you can run the 24v plugs, for my application I ran a 12v hot from the front battery to power the GP's. That way if I ever need to I would be able to get a repalcement plug from any auto parts store. DEFINITELY GET THE PLUGS FROM SSDIESEL though, either way. His are the best and their service is top notch.

rdragoo

More glow plug questions II

Ok, it makes sense that I can run 24v glow plugs without the resistor bank. Does anyone understand how that might affect the controller? I thought ithe controller senses a voltage drop as the plugs heat up and that is what makes them cycle, or "shut off" in between heatings. I don't understand exactly how the controller works though. Would it be true that the controller wouldn't be affected here, and doesn't mind the extra voltage to the glow plugs?? Thanks for all the replies.
Randy
Tehachapi, CA

mangus580

Randy, it has been reported that the controller handles the 24v just fine. Sorry that my previous post was so 'cyrptic', but I had a baby in my lap, and couldnt really type well :)

The advantage to using the 24v setup, is you can still use a slave cable to jumpstart your truck from another 24v vehicle.

The major disadvantage to removing the resistor and going with 12v from one battery, is it puts a heavy strain on that battery.

In your instance, you only have 2 bad plugs, correct? If so, I would replace them with 12v and leave the resistor in place. I would suspect that your system is fine, if losing the 2 hasnt 'eaten' the rest. Mine has had 1 or 2 bad ones for over a year, and heck... it even started at 6°F !! without being plugged in.

Also, I combined the posts... no reason to seperate it.

rdragoo

I don't like the idea of the resistor bank just to use 12v glow plugs but I guess someone smarter than me designed it. I want a new set of glow plugs and just may try a complete set of 24v plugs from ssdiesel.com.
If my controller doesn't cycle any more, or goes up on smoke, i'll report back so everyone knows. I think others have tried this and the controller worked ok, but I don't know how. It would make sense that the extra voltage would fool the controller into thinking a voltage drop had NOT occured, and it wouldn't cycle the plugs. Anyway, I'll report back after I replace them. Thanks for the advice. :!:
Randy

jrosbo

Glow plugs

There is a tech. article on this site on the links to your lower left. I don't know if it will answer any of your questions or not but it may be worth looking at if you haven't done so already.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks