• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

More starting issues.....HELP!

deepseeman

So here it is. I have been driving my truck without problems for quite awhile. All of a sudden I go to start her and I barely get anything. The starter turns over slower than molasses. When I turn on the ignition All lights are bright excep gen #2 and my voltage gage barely moves.
So here are the things I have done;
load tested the batteries-good
replaced starter wires
checked fuses
cleaned battery terminals
tested starter-good
both batteries 12+ volts
26+ volts at starter
checked for any loose wires and found none

I was thinking about replacing the starter relay switch(15591718), but I have power to the solenoid. Isnt that switch all or nothing?
I am at a loss an need to get this fixed by Monday. Any help is appreciated.

CCATLETT1984

yes that switch is all or nothing.

If you are getting good voltage to the starter, and the solinoid is activating, then i'd start looking to the starter as the suspect. You say that you tested the starter, may I ask how you tested it?

CCATLETT1984

Replace the chassis ground, on front passenger side frame rail.
There is also a Ground cable that should go from the engine to the negative buss bar on the firewall, check it as well.
also check the connection from the postive on the rear battery to the 24v buss on the firewall.

get a buddy and check the voltage at the starter while cranking. it shouldnt drop much.

CCATLETT1984

you could make some long leads and be able to see the multi meter from inside the truck. When you crank the truck, do the battery cables get hot?

also another thing to try, pull the glow plugs out and try cranking the truck (without the gp's in it will not have compression)

CCATLETT1984

could be the relay, worth the $8 to change it.

you have either a poor connection somewhere or a melted wire, its the only thing that could cause poor cranking with a known good starter.

one other thing to try, get a big screwdriver and short the large terminal with the terminal on the solinoid, if it cranks faster then you have an issue with the wiring to the solinoid.

CCATLETT1984

the large silver one under the dash, its the starter relay.

the only thing that i can think of is that if its only putting 5v to the solinoind then the solinoid might not make good enough connection for the current to flow through the starter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks