• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Most annoying Deuce repair?

bomar76

So far my son (BajaPower) and I have done quite a bit of wrenching to our deuce....replaced injection pump, replaced injectors, head gaskets, changing tires, upgrade wiper system, etc.

The most miserable project so far has to be the project we did tonight, replacing the emergency brake cable.

The bolt that hold the cable to the transfer case is impossible to remove w/o removing the bracket...ithe bolt threads through the wrong way. The nuts on the brake end of the cable are a real PITA to get to - hardly any room to work with the frame rail members there, the adjustment bolt for the outer shoe is damn near impossible to get to to turn, even that little clamp deal that holds the cable from moving where is goes through the frame rail is a biotch to remove and install. Just about everything has to be done blind.

Add to this that everything is too far off the ground to just reach up and access so you have to strain your azz off leaning up the whole time.

BajaPower did the cab handle deal and I didn't hear him gripe so that part must have been a cakewalk.

Whoever wrote the TM on the emergency brake cable had obviously never actually done it or even talked to anyone that has.

The upside is we now, for the first time, have a functioning emergency brake :D

rdixiemiller

Put a heater core in an early '90's Mustang. I think they hung the core on a wire and built the car around it.
About a 12 hour job.
I've heard changing the transfer case on a deuce will make you hate life.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Transfer cases are quite easy with the right approach. Ebrake crap is an SOB even on a tractor. I'd take the bed off!

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Changing the t-case was one of the easier jobs i've done. About 4 hours. But changing those little coolant hoses that go from the top of the heads to the intake will want you to shoot someone!!!!

red devils dude

ken said:
Changing the t-case was one of the easier jobs i've done. About 4 hours. But changing those little coolant hoses that go from the top of the heads to the intake will want you to shoot someone!!!!
had to get those off when I pulled the head's it was horrible. :(

bomar76

I know why ours were so easy....
We removed the manifolds that run from the hoses to the heads.
The hoses just slip on and off then....it only takes a couple minutes.
I wouldn't even think of trying to do it with the water manifolds connected to the heads....it would be damn near impossible to get them on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks