• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mountain Driving?

Jim145

I have a Question about going down hill on mountains, I have driven 18 wheelers and know how it feels to go over the top and being in a few gears lower while gently pressing the brakes to maintain a slow but steady descend. How does the m35 react going down mountains? does the engine hold her back or will I be on the brakes?

possibly within the next 2 weeks I'll be taking her to WV and there are some hills to contend with.

Any thoughts or experiences would be greatfull.

Desert Rat

Having been a former Hand I can tell you the Deuce slows down well on long running shallow grades. Steeper decents you will need to use the brakes some. Always go down in fourth on the steeper grades. At least I do.

Low-Tech-Redneck

We've done 8% grades in our Deuce' without ever touching the brake, kept the shifter in 4th over the top, and then alternated between that and 3rd as the grade fluctuated on the way down. Didn't have to touch the brakes untill we hit a 200 degree hairpin at the bottom.

It's like driving a freight train, the engine can do the majority of the work, and don't use the brakes unless you got nothing left. Also, be aware, pick up too much speed in neutral, and the synchros won't enguage, so don't be indescisive when you shift.

Excellant question JimR. I'm glad you posted it. I was wondering that myself.

Hi Dieselsmoke. I made it by that Geweke truck show (looked to be mostly trucks from the dealership used car lot and only 2-3 vendors) on Memmorial Day but I did not find you. Asked a few of the people there but only the guy from the Browns Valley Diesel service knew of you.

He had a Banks Diesel brake (new) for $800.00.
Is that about the going price for an exhaust brake?

Can they be found at an 18 wheeler wrecking yard?

Dieselsmoke

Hey Gary, sorry about that I got so damned busy and ended up working out of town. Are you going to go to the machine gun deal in Nevada? We'll have to hook up then, still got your number right here. $800 is about average, although anything Browns valley sells I can get a good discount on (used to work for him). I imagine they can be found at a wrecking yard, never looked there for one before.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw a 5 ton multifuel with a exaust brake last weekend. Doesen't sound like a bad idea.

Trango

I picked up an exhaust brake last Friday for $80 at a wrecking yard, cash on the barrelhead. It was siezed and in unknown condition, but I took it home and with a little heat (ok, alot of heat!) and some penetrating oil, I got it operating again smooth as ever. It came with the unloader port as well, but NO hookups. I'll be figuring all of that crap out later.

My 3208 project is at that bitter end, and I should have it in exhaust tomorrow....

Oh yeah, the 3208 can only take 25 psi back pressure.... I'll be running a gauge, but I wonder how much that little back pressure will really get me.

Bob

Junk yards!! Gimme a screwdriver and a hammer and I can spend all day in there. I'll start checking them out.

Hey Trango,

So we have to be careful of the back pressure we create with the engine brake?

So now that brings up a stupid question..................

I assume that it goes behind the turbo but is it better to go pre-turbo?
With the lack of room for pre turbo I think I am shooting myself in the foot with this question.

Speaking of shooting........................

Dieselsmoke - I figured you got busy. I am really going to try and make the MG shoot in NV later this month. I have to deliver my brothers truck to him in Mammoth and plan on towing up my Ranger behind it for a smooth entry into the shoot. Definately have it on the sticky note taped to my forehead. Also trying to get an guy from Havasu Pyrotechnics to come out with some of his exploding targets that are a real eye opener.

Finally put my truck in the Avatar section

Here it is in real life - (attached).

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Returned from a road trip Monday, which included long 8% grades, both up and down. 4th gear and 35-40 mph is just fine with little or no braking. Below are some exhaust brake images from my deuce.
The exhaust brake is a great safety feature, I think. Found mine in a muffler shop. Paid $10 for it, but the return spring is not opening the butterfly valve as fast as it should. Operates on compressed air with a switch just like the one used to engage front wheel drive.

Trango

Bjorn!

That's pure genius ...... that front air axle switch will be PERFECT to engage the pneumatic ram. That's so excellent - I hadn't thought of that.

Dude you just made my day. Now if you could just also find me the appropriate intake and air filter setup for my junk, I'd be done. :)

Cheers
Bob

Jim145

I like the exhaust brake idea, but more than likely I will not have enough time to gather the parts & install.

Thanks for the mountain info on the way these beasts run.

Trango

Hey Bjorn,

From whom did you source out the extra switch? Nobody has the mil one... I called Boyce, Saturn Surplus, and Memphis. It would be cool if it looked mil-spec-ish. ;)

Thanks again!
bob

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bob,
Try Memphis Equipment (901 774-0600) or Clark Truck Parts (304 755-8811). I got a take-off and it had to be cleaned up. About $35.
The switch vents the line when turned off.

For all the mods, I too try to make it mil-spec-ish. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks