• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mounting composite taillights?

For all you people that have the composite turn signal/black out lights on your M37s-how did you modify the brackets to fit the lights?

For the front:

I found that the front marker light brackets have the wire hole too high to fit the wires through and am not happy with cutting the hole bigger. Is there another way to do these brackets or is anyone making a replacement bracket that is high enough and has the wire hole in the right place?

For the rear:

Trial fitting shows the composite light unit to be taller than the stock round unit. Immediate solution seems to be to fab an adapter plate to mount to the stock taillight bracket and mount the taillight assemblies to that. Again-is there another way to do it or is someone making a replacement bracket that has the allowances for the extra height?

This is going on the truck I'm selling, but will need the same on the project truck in a few months.

devilman96

The front has to be cut... Same ordeal on most trucks reguarless of the model.
The rears I don't know...

What are you doing with your old fronts? If they are metal housings I would love to have them to powder coat for my Deuce...

CGarbee

RE: OLD Metal lights

Cut the front bracket so that the wire hole is keyhole shaped instead of round... It is pretty obvious how much metal to remove when you hold the new light fixture up to the bracket.
Drill two new mounting holes about a quarter of an inch below the existing mounting holes in the mount for the rear light... Once again, it is pretty obvious where to drill them if you hold the new light up, there is room and metal to do so and you will end up with the top of the light just clearing the bed bottom.

Note: The composit lights will not fit in the back if you have the USMC tailight guard/lifting shackle relocation bracket mounted... :) The light is too tall for the bracket to clear...

I use the new composits on the front of my M37 for turn signal, etc. I use the older style round lights in the back (three bulb on both sides) with a full red lense from a M561 Gama Goat for stop, tail, trurn. I do not use blackout functions... I could have added the small bracket and the "add on" little blackout light to each side (designed just for the right, but I can be creative) if I wanted to add another light fixture to the rear...

Re: RE: OLD Metal lights

CGarbee said:
Cut the front bracket so that the wire hole is keyhole shaped instead of round...
Drill two new mounting holes about a quarter of an inch below the existing mounting holes in the mount for the rear light...
Thanks, Cabell.

I've already cut the fronts, just not real pleased with the results. I'll mark and drill the rears like you recommend.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks