• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Move Stock Deuce Bed Back

plym49

I've searched, and while there are a bunch of threads that discuss moving the bed vis-a-vis bobbing, I have not found anything on the feasibility of moving the bed back 6" to a foot.

(In one build thread, the poster states he is considering moving the bed back to provide room for a crane, but his build has not gotten that far yet.)

A modest pushback would give you room for equipment - an extra fuel tank, spare relocation, tool box, genset or whatever - or make it feasible to extend the cab a bit for more room.

Has anyone done this?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most flatbed trucks are set up 60% in front of the axle and 40% behind the axle as this is considered the ideal bed placement. The problem is deuce is already almost 50/50. I'm afraid if you move the bed back any you'll have too much bed behind the axle and won't balance out well loaded.

If I wanted space between the bed and the cab I'd consider shortening the bed or buy a long wheelbase deuce and but a M35 bed on it.

Jakob

I have considered doing this, but my modifications would go a little further than just the bed. I have been considering moving the rear/rear axle back as well and moving the bed back about a foot. I have considered setting up each rear like they would be on a bobber, but keeping the dual rears. Each rear will have it's own leaf spring setup instead of what is in place. Not only will this let me space out the rears for larger tires, it will eliminate the dogbones as well. I will have to make a new intermediate driveshaft for them though. All this has only been done in my head, so I'm not sure if I even have the room.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have considered doing this, but my modifications would go a little further than just the bed. I have been considering moving the rear/rear axle back as well and moving the bed back about a foot. I have considered setting up each rear like they would be on a bobber, but keeping the dual rears. Each rear will have it's own leaf spring setup instead of what is in place. Not only will this let me space out the rears for larger tires, it will eliminate the dogbones as well. I will have to make a new intermediate driveshaft for them though. All this has only been done in my head, so I'm not sure if I even have the room.
I'm not sure what the advantage would be to losing the walking beam suspension but it's your dog and you can whip it if you want to.

You would have to stretch the frame to do it but that is not too hard if you have some spare frame and the fab skills to pull it off.

To the original poster I concur with the other opinions....get an M36 and use a regular bed.......lots less hassel.

jaxsof

WM, if you take out the walking beam, and insert two leaves without an equalizer it will make the ride just that much more like being punched in the kidneys

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like WM said, I'd go with air ride if I was going to do something like this. Your off road performance will suffer though if you do away with the stock suspension.