• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Moving an m-60

dittle

Nice article. Wonder why they didn't just take another tank to move it with a towbar. That would have been easier. My guess is it is demilled (engine/tranny wise) otherwise throw 6 batteries in the girl and go. Hopefully they disconnect the final drives otherwise they could have been fighting the parking brakes as well and just messed a whole bunch of stuff up in there (not that they care).

emr

They new what to do i am sure in fact I know they do...NJ has no other Armor to move it with, and that in my opinion would be more work getting that there to do the job and return it,Starting and loading and wide loading a tank to and from a site just to move that M 60 would be well not thought thru, moving a Tank is a big job in paper work too.and not efficiant at all anyway. NJ started out as the 50th Armored division long ago, in WW2 actually saw more tank battles than anyone else, In the first Gulf war, the call came to get to the Newark docks and be ready to go in less than a month, the general at that time answered General Powel , Well sire i cant, he said U have 6 weeks then, and again he said Sorry, Powel asked how long do u need, I understand the answer was at least 6 months to a year, Powel sternly said this is an Armored war and U are an Armoerd unit, But not any more, with the stroke of a pen powel removed the 50th Armored into history and It became a support battalion , Then was a heavy truck battalion and retained one Abrams in each Armory , but NJ is a liberal state that does not like the guard, and with this current war the State wanted the Army to make it a MP battalion with only humvees, but the army said the best they will do is a medium truck battalion with no armor at all , and that is what it is today. So long story short there is no tanks to tow another tank around here any more. And they would have used other equipment anyway.....Been at a few things when these guys moved a few things over the years, very very capable guys....for sure.....They would not pull out a tank to tow another unless in the field. I really do not know why you would say they do not care ? I happen to know they do.

Last edited:

dittle

Wasn't trying to say they didn't know what they were doing, my apoligies if it was read that way. I don't know the status of the NJ military units, I was more thinking out loud and typing as I was doing that.

emr

...:-D...Not a prob, and sure do know how it looks sometimes after I type it, it sounds like normal conversation to me at the time, but then i read it, Also I just thought it might be nice to share some inside info i recieved awhile ago, and this seemed like a good time, The older guys in NJ have alot of experience moving heavy equipment, I was kinda sayin in all that too. I know it was not meant in a bad way, We all respect these guys here.....:!:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice article.

Interesting to find about armor in NJ as well.

sw

Sgt Hulka

Is this the tank referred to as "discovered" in posts of a couple months ago? And do I remember correctly that it was fired up after a long period of disuse and used for some exercise? Maybe lighting it off isn't that far fetched...

emr

No this is a different one, the M 60 from Newton is still at the flight facility, shes is sooo perty...:-D...The M 60 is not supposed to run on display , So if it did they would have to demil it then to leave it and some one somewhere would be in trouble., it is easier to just accept her as she is and tow her, the one talked about that did run was/is on State/Army property and on the books, so its ok, the one they towed better not be able to run...

Last edited: