• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MRAP wheel tire mounting...am I missing something

ke5eua

You need a long handle Duckbill Hammer or one of my tire kits. No just a duckbill. $100.00. Practice on old steel rim. There are also hydraulic bead breakers. I bought the duck and off they went. Tire guy will break down for $15 to $30 each.
At almost 400 pounds a tire bringing them to the tire guy doesn't really work to well. Also when they ask if it has run flats they run away quick.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hainbd is right on. They come apart easy with a tire hammer. Drop them at my place, I will dismount them while you wait, if you leave the aluminum rims here!

Hainebd

My tire guy does for beer. Run flats on MRAP are no different then standard wheel. You have to go to a tractor tire place. Not truck or car. There is a big difference in what and tech ability.

Hainebd

I forgot to mention, he throws the tires and rims around and at 582 pounds each he can pick up to put on lugs. I keep him as calm as possible cause he could lay me out easily. He dose tires all day from car to earth movers. Front end loaders. He does not do press ons. Only air, foam filled. You need a guy/girl like that.

ke5eua

My tire guy does for beer. Run flats on MRAP are no different then standard wheel. You have to go to a tractor tire place. Not truck or car. There is a big difference in what and tech ability.
Called the local place that does tractors and they said nope when I said run flat.

I knew a guy like that in the army, we tried not to piss him off to much.

I do believe I'll take ndt up on his offer though.
I forgot to mention, he throws the tires and rims around and at 582 pounds each he can pick up to put on lugs. I keep him as calm as possible cause he could lay me out easily. He dose tires all day from car to earth movers. Front end loaders. He does not do press ons. Only air, foam filled. You need a guy/girl like that.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys these combat rims are SO EASY. Just undo the nuts, and a few good whacks with the tire hammer in the bead, and up pops the ring. Now getting a rubber runflat out of the tire is another matter.

ke5eua

Guys these combat rims are SO EASY. Just undo the nuts, and a few good whacks with the tire hammer in the bead, and up pops the ring. Now getting a rubber runflat out of the tire is another matter.
I'm going to pick one of these when I get back and hopefully won't have any trouble in the driveway with them.

http://www.harborfreight.com/tire-bead-breaker-with-swan-neck-67403.html

image_8057.jpg

I would like to get the run flats out. I tried the method of securing the tire to a tree and the runflat to the tractor. It was a sight to see I tell you for sure, tree almost came down. I'll probably just cut them out once I get them off the wheels.

Hainebd

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...sUXugDJNS7YJXkSMMi78IT2Q&ust=1428708867999997

one of these and lock ring bar is all you need. Well kind of. The runflat gets rusted to the rim. A trick that works 50% of the time is to unbolt rim halfs. Copouisly soak with diluted tire soap, and only tire soap, mixture should be fluid. Wack the tire right at the rim edge with the duck bill hammer all the way around the rim till you separate. You can't do it all at once, work around the rim, each lap reapply the soap. If you can't hit properly, put nuts on a couple of threads to protect. Now you have to loosen the run flat from the rim. Fill your device with liquid soap and water mix. Pump into the valve stem with core removed. As you pump in fluid, take thin piece of metal that will fit with force between rim and bead. Work completely around rim. Then flip and wack the other side. Be sure to soap. And if you can leave overnight to let soap soak in helps. Just do not leave in the sun. The hammer and soap are the trick. If you need help I can stop by in May on my trip. I can do, maybe, bad back and all.
Now you know why the military sells new tires and rims with runflats not broke down. Now I only drink domestic beer but I drink ALot! Now get those tire broke down! I have told everyone my secret.

Attachments

ke5eua

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...sUXugDJNS7YJXkSMMi78IT2Q&ust=1428708867999997

one of these and lock ring bar is all you need. Well kind of. The runflat gets rusted to the rim. A trick that works 50% of the time is to unbolt rim halfs. Copouisly soak with diluted tire soap, and only tire soap, mixture should be fluid. Wack the tire right at the rim edge with the duck bill hammer all the way around the rim till you separate. You can't do it all at once, work around the rim, each lap reapply the soap. If you can't hit properly, put nuts on a couple of threads to protect. Now you have to loosen the run flat from the rim. Fill your device with liquid soap and water mix. Pump into the valve stem with core removed. As you pump in fluid, take thin piece of metal that will fit with force between rim and bead. Work completely around rim. Then flip and wack the other side. Be sure to soap. And if you can leave overnight to let soap soak in helps. Just do not leave in the sun. The hammer and soap are the trick. If you need help I can stop by in May on my trip. I can do, maybe, bad back and all.
Now you know why the military sells new tires and rims with runflats not broke down. Now I only drink domestic beer but I drink ALot! Now get those tire broke down! I have told everyone my secret.
I was actually thinking about getting that tool mentioned on the site you linked. Esco sells one for a good bit of money but it's rated to be used with an impact.

I'm with you on the bad back, that's kinda why I am looking for an easier way to do it.

Hainebd

Hydraulic bead breaker, but if you ask the guys who do this all the time, they never take it out of the truck. I have three sets of Gaither's Supper Tool Sets" and I say spend $100 on the hammer.

Clay James

A hydraulic bead breaker is one of the best tools ever made! I use one at work for all the big tires. A tire boomer for seating the beats is also another great tool. They take a lot of the fight out of changing a tire.

ke5eua

A hydraulic bead breaker is one of the best tools ever made! I use one at work for all the big tires. A tire boomer for seating the beats is also another great tool. They take a lot of the fight out of changing a tire.
Little expensive for my taste. If I was doing tires every day then I could justify it but for 7 tires I just can't. Seating the beads on the combat rims aren't so bad once you get the hang of it, just breaking them without the proper tools.

Hainebd

They are easier on back and twice the work. When you use the hammer, you want to minimize contact with rim as you strike, but be as close to rims edge as possible.

Special T

The harbor freight bar is junk. I owned one and it broke the first day of use. A duck bill tire hammer is a cheep investment if you own anything with tires. Using one is kinda like chopping wood. I think for a small investment you could buy all the bars you need and a hammer. The reality is that for military bolt together tires all you need is a tire hammer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks