• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MTR vs MT tire mixing

twisted60

I'm putting a new set of MTR tires on my HMMWV, I noticed on the side wall of the MTR's it says not to mix with MT tires, anyone know why ? I always heard not to mix bias ply and radial ply tires but the MT's and MTR's are both radials. I am planning to keep my best MT tire as a spare and put my 4 new MTR's on the road.

I had a blow out couple weeks ago running down the turnpike here in FL, right front tire, one of my original MT tires with the run-flat and aside from a sound difference it was a non event, run-flat did a great job. That event prompted me to change my MT tires. 3 of my MT tires were date coded 04, my best MT tire is coded 15 (that will be my spare) all MTR's are coded 16.

But back to original question ... why do the MTR's say don't mix with MT's ?

Action

I believe the load rating is different. If you look at one tire and see "E" and load the humvee up and have s blowout pn one of thd D rated tires....

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
MTRs come in both D and E load range. The MTs are just a D load range

They do not want the mixing of tires due to sidewall differences or traction differences. The MT does leave a larger footprint in all pressure ranges over the MT/R. Every other spec on the tire is the same on the D load range for the MT/MTR .

It is only marked by an * mark in the goodyear catalog to NOT mix them, just like it says do not mix D and E load ranges.

twisted60

Thanks for the reply’s, should have mentioned my MT’s are load range D and the MTR’s are load range D. What simp said makes sense, guess it’ll be fine keeping an MT as a spare, just to get to a tire shop, if the road demons claim another tire.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tage

My hmmwv came from Irwin. It had the normal MT on one axle, and baja's on the other.
I guess that's all they could get?

Never seen that in big army, but then again I wasn't looking at the hmmwv tires much...

suzukovich

Not a good idea mixing MT and MTRs. MTs side wall are more flexible then the MT/Rs. Also watch the producton date on the MT/Rs. Army has pulled off vehicles and is destroying tires over 5 yrs old due to blow out issues per DOD saftey messages. That means if tires or older then 2016 don't use them. I should know as I had a blow out on I75 north about a month ago. Blow out followed same pattern that cause the saftey message to be issued.

Sent from my SM-J727U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Not a good idea mixing MT and MTRs. MTs side wall are more flexible then the MT/Rs. Also watch the producton date on the MT/Rs. Army has pulled off vehicles and is destroying tires over 5 yrs old due to blow out issues per DOD saftey messages. That means if tires or older then 2016 don't use them. I should know as I had a blow out on I75 north about a month ago. Blow out followed same pattern that cause the saftey message to be issued.

You can use older tires as long as the sidewalls and treads show no dry rot and damage. That is per goodyear and the NHTSA. the DOD issued it mostly because Goodyear doesn't cover any liability on tires more than 4yrs old for sidewall weakening or dry rotting. There is a thread in the safety section of the forum about everything.

suzukovich

Also remember it NYC vehicles are running in the dessert not on a hard top. Also The BF Goodrich Bajas side walls are flexible like the MTs. Also possibility that they threw on the MTs before turn in.
My hmmwv came from Irwin. It had the normal MT on one axle, and baja's on the other.
I guess that's all they could get?

Never seen that in big army, but then again I wasn't looking at the hmmwv tires much...

suzukovich

You also realize the tires were devolped for the off road community. Specifically for rock climbing. So when tires failed and they did. Goodyear could point to how the tires were used. If they had been on road tires and enough peaple had been killed. There would of been a recall just like the Firestone issue with the Ford Explorer.
You can use older tires as long as the sidewalls and treads show no dry rot and damage. That is per goodyear and the NHTSA. the DOD issued it mostly because Goodyear doesn't cover any liability on tires more than 4yrs old for sidewall weakening or dry rotting. There is a thread in the safety section of the forum about everything.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You also realize the tires were devolped for the off road community. Specifically for rock climbing. So when tires failed and they did. Goodyear could point to how the tires were used. If they had been on road tires and enough peaple had been killed. There would of been a recall just like the Firestone issue with the Ford Explorer.

They said they have no known knowledge of anything on any MT/R's. Regardless of being on or offroad. The DOD did it because they have tires dry rotting and sitting for years. I had to get every low down information I could because if Goodyear issued the safety alert or had any support of it then I could not legally sell them to anyone period. The government is just covering their butts on tires on trucks that have sat for years and even on flats.

Action

What math got you to 2016 ?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yet the military was saying they were going to destroy anything that is currently in stock. Even 2017 and 18s. They changed their mind after about a month back to 2015 and older. They were destroying tires and wheels.

suzukovich

5 years or newer. 2016 allows for a couple of years use. Why would I buy a tire that has 1 yr use left . Yes they are destroying both wheel and tires. Wheels don't make any sense unless rims are shot too. I would be only comfortable if tires were new and never mounted. Even pass the 5yr limit. But since 99 percent of MT/Rs are used it make me think twice and error on the side of caution.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks