• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Multifuel camshaft timing

emance

Short version: 1) the manual I have gives the valve lash ajustment procedure for LD/LDS 465. Is it the same for the LDT 465-1C?

2) This manual also gives a procured for checking camshaft timing but im not sure I understand the way it is written. If anyone can re-word and ellaborate.

Long Version: I didn't do the intial diagnosis or tear down. I was told one cylinder had low compression. I did pistons and sleeves on cylinders 2 & 5 because of cracked rings. Truck is only running on cylinders 3 & 4. Changed injection pump to a freshly rebuilt one, as well as tested all injectors. Still only running on cylinders 3 & 4. Has anyone ever seen sypmtoms like this? Has anyone ever seen sheered cam or crank keys?

Attachments

biscuitwhistler37

"Knowing" one cylinder had low compression, and two cylinders had bad rings, I'd say it's time for a compression test. If ever you're told one cylinder is leaking/low, check them all..... Cheap insurance. Once you have those numbers, a more accurate "guess" can be made. As for the valve lash, no, they're not the same, LDS engines are timed differently. There are timing marks for both engines on the same camshafts, because the camshaft can be used in either engine, but the fuel delivery system is different, the intake rocker arms are different, and as such, the injector timing is different.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should be able to eliminate camshaft being sheared off by running the engine with the valve covers off and observing the rockers. Wow it must run pretty awful with only 2 of 6 cylinders contributing.

emance

"Knowing" one cylinder had low compression, and two cylinders had bad rings, I'd say it's time for a compression test. If ever you're told one cylinder is leaking/low, check them all..... Cheap insurance. Once you have those numbers, a more accurate "guess" can be made. As for the valve lash, no, they're not the same, LDS engines are timed differently. There are timing marks for both engines on the same camshafts, because the camshaft can be used in either engine, but the fuel delivery system is different, the intake rocker arms are different, and as such, the injector timing is different.
So that image I had attached states that for adjusting valves on the LD/LDS set engine at #1 intake max open, adjust half the valves, then do #6 intake max open, adjust the other half. So far I have had no luck finding the different procedure for the LDT. The tag on the block says the gap is the same but are you saying to set the crank at the timing mark to adjust all of them?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Set the intake while the exhaust is open, can’t go wrong with that. Firing order same on all multifuel versions.

emance

So after getting another set of eyes on it, it wasn't some crazy problem like a sheered key, it was a rookie mistake.... the learned lesson here is that if you take the injector lines off with the rubber spacers still attached, don't assume that those lines stay in the relative position they should. Swapped the lines to the propper spot on the injection pump and all 6 cylinders are firing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks