• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mutilation and How to register if NO SF97 issued

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I saw the a large lot of CUCV's being sold for scrap out of M'burg.

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=1470256&categoryId=1004

The sale ad says vehicles have to be mutilated and no SF 97 will be issued.

Question 1: Can anyone tell me how much mutilation is required? Will the frames have to be cut?

Question 2: Some states will aloow someone to register a vehicles without a title (SF97), West Virginia will not. Any thoughts on how I could accomplish registering vehicles. Looking at the vehicles in the ad and the parts truck I already have, I think I could get at least 2 and maybe 3 of these in decent shape.

Or is all of this in the more trouble than it is worth catagory.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know how much is required but I bet it depends on the base. Some listings say that a government inspector must watch you destroy the item within so many miles of the base ( can't do it on base but has to be close). At the base where I buy most of my stuff it seems like they could care less what you do.
You can go through some kind of company to get a title for a few bucks but I don't know the details.

Jones

This may get me some flak for being sexist or non-PC but here goes;
1. Hope you get an inspector who's a guy 'cause they're usually more familiar with how much work a piece needs to get it anywhere close to usable and if it looks "pre-mutilated" they can see that it's near junk anyway. A lot of (dare I say female) inspectors, if unsure, tend to go by the book and will insist that a body be cut from corner to opposite corner even though it's already so full of rust holes that it looks like lace.
2. Don't be shy about pointing out torn or missing mounts, crushed components, any non-repairable damage that automatically puts a piece in the scrap iron category.
3. Don't ask 'how much mutilation do I have to do' 'cause with that opening I promise they'll figure out something else that needs to be crushed, cut, burned beyond recognition, etc.
4. Hope your timing is close to lunchtime, or near closing on a Friday, or it's too hot (or cold) to walk outside to see just how much de-miling you've done.
5. Be friendly and cooperative; but stop short of bringing them gifts. If you argue with them I guarantee the entire process will come to a screeching halt and when they're done having you mutilate your new purchase, it'll most closely resemble a wheelbarrow full of iron filings.

Registration is on a state-by-state basis but some of these outfits that do DMV paperwork for car lots are pretty savvy on what is required.

pontiac59

each state DMV differs in their requirements for registering non-titled vehciles. Some you can do a bonded title, some a salvage title, some it's virtually impossible. Pretty much a queston for your state department of motor vehicles -

Michael

I would stay away from this sale. The new mutilation requirements are pretty strict. They may want it cut into 18 inch chunks are crushed on site with a car crusher. Who knows, there may be an F14 part in the glove box of one of those trucks and God forbid that be allowed out into the public.

majortom

I have Bought several hundred trucks from the government, if a vehicle is being sold as scrap you are supposed to recycle it as a chunk of metal not take parts off of it, those are called residue vehicles. I bought twelve M715 at Ft. Knox and no one cared about mutilation but my experances with M-burg is that they will be really picky about the destruction of the vehicle. Also I would be very cautious about titling a vehicle that was listed as by the government as previously scrapped.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks