• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 1st trip to Memphis Equipment

Smokinyoda

Bought some used folding steps off ebay for my deuce and made the 1.5 hour drive to Memphis Equipment to pick them up. All I can say is WOW!!!

Having never been there or any MV salvage yard before I didnt really know what to expect. Man was I impressed! Rows and rows of trucks everywhere. It was very impressive, most I have ever seen in one place.

I have always thought of them as on the "high" side with there prices, but $13 for a complete folding step, with pin and chain wasn't bad at all. At that price I bought 2. Also picked up a pto cover plate for $11.

They told me I could stay as long as I wanted and explore the yards, but it was raining and wife didnt want to go "play in the mud", looking at all the old trucks.

I will be back though...

Here is a satelite picture I pulled off google maps, doesnt show everything but you get the idea.

Attachments

Smokinyoda

apparently the have changed their tune. They used to not give up anything for less than a first born or your soul.
Thats what I always thought, why I was shocked by my experience with them. I dealt with Melanie and found her to be very helpful.

do u have their store number on ebay?
on ebay they sell under the name of mecoparts

And to be honest I didnt even win the steps. I only bid $11 and was outbid. When I saw they went so cheap I just emailed them through ebay asking if they would sell a couple other sets at the other guys winning bid of $13. Melanie agreed with no questions asked.

Whats those coordinates on google earth?
I just typed in there address on google maps and hit the satelite button. 766 S. Third St.
Memphis, TN 38106

I plan on calling again soon as I need a used pintle so I can fabricate a hitch for a receiver to get my m105 home.

davidkroberts

on the pintel if you go to Harbor freight in Jackson they have the Combo Pintel hitch/ 2" ball mounts for 38.00 the same hitch at tractor supply is around 99.00.

They also match up with the holes on the CUCV stock pintel mount

KsM715

:ditto: Get a hitch set up from HF or tractor supply. I doubt Memphis will be able to beat the price along with the extra fab work youll have to do? Unless your talking about putting a hitch on your bobber. Does it not have one on it already?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Memphis Equipment has always been kind of high. I kind of depends on what you get from them though. Some stuff is sky high but other stuff (mainly small items) is reasonable. I have delt with them and they've always been very helpful and great to deal with.

spicergear

Memphis Equipment, Memphis is a decent place with decent folks. Don't know if Paul still works there but I had talked to him multiple times in the past, good guy.

The branch that used to be in Chambersburg, PA was another story. The parts seemed like seconds and the people were difficult to deal with. Example: I needed a part for a 3053A Spicer tranny and the guy asked why I needed it- I told him so I could put it in my M715. He argued with me for minutes telling me how huge that trans was and how it was a big truck tranny and a waste time for something that wouldn't work. aua All that to not even give me a price. I actually had to call in and ask for the price. I dreaded every time I needed to deal with them and am not missing that store being closed up.

But again, Memphis-Memphis has always been another story. :D

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are good for parts for rare or gasser deuces. They tend to have one or two of each hard to find part.

rangernut0901180

I used to live about 30 mins from them Been there once That place is HUGE and you could speend 3 days there and still not find what you are looking for, Too much stuff LOL

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was in Memphis for training back in the spring, and thought about visiting but thought well, its just a store front from the view in the ads, what did I miss. Maybe its time to go back for another training program for a week.

Welder Sam

Capt Pat, i live 100 mi west of memphis, i went last weekend to look at the unsecured trucks for measurements and planning. Im going back tomorrow. Even tho theyre closed its still awesome. WELL WORTH THE TIME AND GAS. Ill be buying 2 trucks from them this winter for a crewcab build. My first but if ima do it, ima do it BIG!! Oh.. i forgot to mention the trailer that ill make frm the rear of trk #2:deadhorse:

3dAngus

on the pintel if you go to Harbor freight in Jackson they have the Combo Pintel hitch/ 2" ball mounts for 38.00 the same hitch at tractor supply is around 99.00.

They also match up with the holes on the CUCV stock pintel mount
That would be a fantastic deal, and I would love to get a couple more at that price. Harbor Freight in Macon doesn't carry them, nor is it listed on its website anymore. I'm wondering if they may be a discontinued item now. $38 is the best price I've ever seen.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks