• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 404

GREEN85

Picked this very straight and solid 1962 model up few months back about 5 minutes from my house, I've always wanted one! She's been sitting about 10 years, carburetor is rebuilt, oil changed just have to clean the fuel system and she should be ready to fire up! Have the fenders,tool boxes and accessories... Previous owner bought it from the importer about 20 years ago. FB_IMG_1688651393045.jpg

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The mighty 404, congratulations on the Unimog and welcome to the Club! My first along with many Mog owners was a 404, its a great way to get your feet wet so to speak. They are easy to work on and will teach you a lot of the reasons for why they are designed the way they are and how this design fits into every day life. Good luck with the truck make sure that you buy the best manual that you can and that it covers not only the maintenance on the truck but also how to operate the truck.
Again Welcome!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing, check the hubs regularly there is only a few ounces of gear oil in there, also do not use GL5 in the transmission as it eats yellow metal and there is a bunch of yellow metal in that transmission.

BELinNC

Congratulations on your new to you 404! It looks like a very decent example. I had a great experience owning my Swiss 404 here in NC. I loved mine so much I infected my brother in law and he found a nice one and we enjoyed many fun outings together. Here is a pic of us on the uwharrie trails here in NC with beds full of our kids and their friends. Surprised we didn't launch them into space! I put the petronix ignition on mine, but aside from that it was kept stock and always ran great. I miss it! 404 Unimog.JPG

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck! Mine is a Swiss 1970 model.

They'll go 55mph, but they don't like staying there long, the hubs get hot. And if they even smell a hill, they slow down. But it would climb trees if it had little feet!

There are some minor differences between Swiss models and all others, hopefully you got a Swiss handbook with yours. If not, ask questions and we'll do our best to answer you.
Mine had the front bow cut so it would fit in a shipping container from Switzerland, I drilled the top and bottom and added braces so the bow can be bolted back on, when the bed canopy is installed.

Cheers

Mog 1.JPG Mog 2.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks