• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My ears will be ringing for a week...but she's home!

racer-xerols

Just got home in our new Deuce. Picked it up at Chambersburg and drove home to Thurmont. Took the better part of 2.5 hours...but no issues other than being slow as molasses, the front part of the top not staying attached to the windshield (and it starting to rain, naturally...), and the injector pump leaking like a sieve. I'm guessing the IP leak is the reason she wouldn't make any power or hold speed on the hills...that, and the fact that it had regular unleaded in the tank (reading posts here, I'm going to dump a quart of used oil in the tank just to be safe). All gauges read OK the whole trip though - coolant temp was rock solid, air pressure great, and oil pressure in the lower 1/3 and steady (what's the usual running oil pressure on one of these, anyway?).

Headed over to classifieds now, but anyone have an injector pump for a multi that's just collecting dust?

TommyG45

RE: My ears will be ringing for a week...but she

Racer,

I read here how a lot of folks Drive these home from GL, coming from Chambersburg, did you have a temp plate of sorts or a dealers plate. I wonder if some of the guys just get in a drive. Who's going to pull over a Deuce?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Hearing protection is one of the items on that list. LOL. As far as wingin it, I've done that a few times but I won't move it an inch of property without insurance.

DanMartin

First of all...welcome!

Check on GL for the IP...a few pop up there from time-to-time (typically in lots of two for some reason).

If the IP is leaking, see if it's repairable first...could save you some cash. Good IPs are expensive.

Head out and buy some good ear protection...that's mandatory! There should be a sticker somewhere in the cab stating this.

Also, please download, read, and understand the TMs...it *will* save you tons of trouble down the road. It's actually an interesting read.

When do we get to see some pics of your new toy???

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Ummmmm. did you say regular unleaded? I thought gasoline was only for life or death situations....

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Out of all the stuff I took with me to Smyrna last week the ONLY thing I used was the ear protection.

My Deuce has the yellow tag on the doors that says you need it.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
nopics

Come on man, we wanna' see your new ride!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Another Maryland Steel Soldier Hoaah! I am not in the state right now but we need to all pull together to make sure we get to keep our guns and trucks in the Free State.

Welcome and do drive down to Aberdeen this weekend even if it is in a Kia

racer-xerols

Wow, thanks for the welcome words. This group is shaping up to be as cool as my Buell (motorcycle) boards :)

I do have pics, but the camera is charging and I can't upload just yet. I ran the batteries dry shooting the new toy. She's big, green, and beautiful! For "hearing protection" I had my iPod - not the best, but it functioned well enough. The truck was properly insured, but since we don't have a title yet I "appropriated" the Historic plate from my D350 pickup and zip-tied it to the back of the deuce for the ride home. My thought was also "who's gonna pull over a deuce", but since I am Murphy's Law on 2 legs....I figured I should at least give the impression of legality, LOL. Once it's titled it'll get it's own MD Historic plate. I think I'll modify it a bit though - I'm thinking either OD plate with black lettering (and the required decals), or a reflective orange/amber plate with black lettering. Something that "fits" the look of the truck a little better is all.

I like the yellow sign/sticker, I'll have to get one of those. Does anyone make repro metal signs for the dash? I have a couple that are seriously worn out and illegible...and they look like they may have useful information on them. I can read the "approved fuel" sign, the gearshift pattern (why did they put fourth down there?), parts of the ID plate...but there's one on the left I can't read, and a sticker on the driver door in turquoise about "before you pull the injection pump off" that's starting to fade. Looks like a troubleshooting guide for lack of power, etc.

Well, off to work. Friday is Monday for me - I work all weekend, every weekend...won't have free time to tinker until Weds :( Oh, just in case - what's the best way to jumpstart one of these beasts? We've got an '05 Ram with a Cummins and 2 batteries, but it's 12v, not 24v. Will a regular jumpstart to one of the batteries work, or do I need to do something special? The guys at the yard had a plug that went to a connector on the post behind the passenger door...she seems pretty stout, tried to start for a while at the yard until I knocked on the fuel tank and said "do you guys have some gas?", but by that time we had to jump it. Left it run the whole way home "just in case", but the generator gauge read green the whole way so I'm sure they're charged back up by now.

Pics will be forthcoming, I promise.
joe

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joe, there are data plates available out there. Saturn Surplus has many data plates and excellent service and shipping. As far as 4th gear location, this tranny was originally not an overdrive. When they needed overdrive, the made 5th 4th and replaced 4th with the OD gears. As far as jump starts, you would need to jump each battery seperate if using a 12 V vehicle or jump box. Best is to remove the cables and charge each battery seperately. If you do find yourself needing a jump, use a VOM and check the voltage of each battery, you may find only one battery low and can jump just that battery to start it. Enjoy it!
PS, We have some really upstanding members in MD.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
racer,

Take it all in. Slow though. Be careful not to try to do too much all at once. A great truck and a great hobby, supported by a great website with great members!

Welcome. You are definitely showing obvious symptoms of the bug.

racer-xerols

Addictive personality, probably.

Got into turbo Dodge cars; got four of 'em in the garage now, from basket case to Carroll Shelby autographed show piece.

Got into motorcycles, Buells in particular...got three of them now, plus a bare frame with title waiting for me to figure out how I want to "home-brew" my fourth.

Now this beast. <sigh> Thank god I have a patient wife (and the fact that technically, this is her fathers' truck and I'm just the wrench, LOL). Doesn't change the fact that I've always wanted the "grownup's Tonka truck". heheh...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks