• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My filter station flaw

Ford Mechanic

My filter station flaw UPDATED WITH PICS!

Updated with pics further down! IRS LAWS pertaining to Fuel blending on Page 2

Hey guys I'm finally got my WMO filter station up and running and I found a issue that I didn't take into account when I built it. I'm useing a well tank for the main parts (PICS coming I forgot the camera) and I put a heater element in the bung that was in the dead center of the tank thinking that the heat would radiate thru tha whole tank. WRONG, apperantly that ain't the way it works. It heated about 6-8 inches below the element and the whole way to the top. It was up to temp and shutting off in 15 min:shock: but the bottom is still cold. I left it plugged in for about 3 hrs no change. When the element's on the oil does circulate very well.

I did find out that the water boils out, I have a vent in the top that I removed after a while to look inside and found lots of condensation on the inside. Next time I'll leave it off.

Last night was just testing mabey I'll process my first batch tonight! After I empty the tank this time, I do have one more bung about 8 inches lower that I'll move the element to. Just posting incase someone else is building one, mabey you can learn from my mistake .

And a side note I'M USING WMO LEAGALLY!! Got my license from NC, filling reports every month, keeping the records and log book in the truck, paying my .37 a gallon road tax, AND the kicker..... Called to the IRS and had to go to a senior tech to get a correct answer and the proof but as long as your not producing more than 400 GALLONS A QUATER or selling any YOU ARE EXEMPT! I'll post the laws in the pics now it's top of page 4.

Can't figure out how to post them, keeps telling me the file is too big. I even tryed to post it 1 page at a time. So if you want that info I'll email it to you, or if someone a little more computer savy than me wants too I'll send it to them and they can post it.

Last edited:

Rodger

I am using WMO sometimes. I do not know how well water can evaporate from under the oil. Plannint to add a filter sock after my centrifuge.
Very interested in IRS docu ments.

When camping in bear country, I would rather have a truck that smells like burnt oil than a french fry.

Rodger

eagle4g63

PM sent

I haven't done anything for heating.........I use multiple large totes for my stuff..........they sit in a trailer so the sun gives off enough heat for me. I also only pull down so far so anything that might settle isn't picked up. I do pump through my filters before it goes into the first tank, it gets mixed with anything else, pumped(filtered again) into the second tank, then goes through the filters again when pumped into the truck

Ford Mechanic

Chief, Rodger, ChevyCUCV, CPF240, Eagle4g63 Info sent:)

Just for clarification you are exempt from IRS Tax only (under 400 gallons a qtr) You still have to pay your state road taxes.

Ford Mechanic

Pics of my filter station!

Hey guys here are some pics of my filter station. The filters are 178 mic, 24 mic, 12 mic, and 6 mic. I processed my first batch of fuel last night. Turned on the heater, went to get some diesil, added 2 gallons to the station, 5 gallons to the M35's tank. After disconnecting the heater and hooking up the air supply with the in line regulator set at 15 psi, I filtered about 35 gallons in 20 mins!!:shock: I didn't notice hardly any drop in psi thru the filters and great flow out of the hose. I took a sample of the finished product and didn't see any trash of anything in it.

Attachments

DeucesWild11

Just a thought but perhaps you can send a PM to one of the moderators or the site manager to add the IRS doc to the website kind of like how they have the TM's posted.. I am sure many would like to see it.

Nice setup by the way..

Ford Mechanic

Here's some pics of my NC blenders lic. and book that I keep in my M35.

Well I was going to post them but the up loader says it's missing a security token? Reckon I'll email Patracy.

Tlauden

I ran into that same problem, I ended up being able to upload 2 at a time instead of the normal 10. Maybe that will work for you too.

Have you thought about adding a magnet to your set up. I rum my filtered oil over a 30lb pull magnet before it enters the tank. I still got a few very tiny bits of metal that i couldnt see after the final filter.... Just an idea

42willys

what about putting the element in the bottom of the tank allowing the heat to rise, the stop will still be hotter then the bottom but the difference should be small. Also oil is a bad conductor meaning it does not share its heat or energy very well. which will keep heat at the top from reaching the bottom.

and im sure you are using the heating element to get out the evaporated water, and the filter for condensed?

Ford Mechanic

Yeah that and the hotter the oil gets the thinner it is and it goes thru the station faster. I pulled the element and put it in the lowest bung that I had on the tank, it's helped but it's still got about a 8 in. layer at the bottom that gets no heat. I've been thinking about repurposing a old turkey fryer burner and puting it under the tank but it's working well and I've not had any issues with water.

reset2

Yeah that and the hotter the oil gets the thinner it is and it goes thru the station faster. I pulled the element and put it in the lowest bung that I had on the tank, it's helped but it's still got about a 8 in. layer at the bottom that gets no heat. I've been thinking about repurposing a old turkey fryer burner and puting it under the tank but it's working well and I've not had any issues with water.
I would think that open flames are a No No with oils. Your are correct heat will not travel down below the element very far. Like a hot water heater when cold the top element will be energized until the upper section gets to temp then lower element comes on until that section gets to temp. Only other way is to have a circulating pump to move the oil throughout the tank.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks