• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My First M1009 Daily Driver - VA

LeadHead

I picked up my first CUCV M1009! I bought it for $1400 from a member on here. I've put near 200 miles on it, daily driven, and I love it! Anything I need to do to it?

Here she was as is the day I bought her. Drove home about an hour.

Truck came with a set of Super Swamper Thornbirds. So the next day, we threw them on there at school.

Interior needs some work...or... a lot of work. It works for me though!

I changed the oil, oil filter, air filter, wipers, washer fluid. Ordered some new tailgate cables. And I got some tap lights at walmart that I'll velcro to the roof and use as cab lights.

By the way...I dont recomment Thornbirds for ANYTHING BUT mud. I'd rather have A/T's than those things on a trail/steep dirt roads I ride on.

Only things wrong with it is it will knock/pop in 4x4. I cant figure out why. The PO says it's the hubs, but how can you tell whether it's the t-case or the hubs? I had to use 4x4 when I got stuck going up a dirt road. Other things like signal lights, plate light, etc.

Attachments

rickf

Check the front axle u-joints out by the wheels. Popping from the transfer would be the chain and that is rare for these unless it has really been hammered on by the PO.

Rick

SPCWarning

Welcome from Mississippi!

Welcome aboard, congrats on the purchase! Looks like a good CUCV. Have you downloaded the TM's for it yet? They list everything on your CUCV. Keep us posted on what you find with your front drive.

donalloy1

Congrats LeadHead! We love ours. Daily driver. Take kids to school in it almost everyday. She has been very dependable. As for drive train noises. Sounds like you need to begin process of illimination. Good luck...:beer::beer:

LeadHead

Thanks yall! A deuce or m1008 is next on my list.. :beer:

I torture tested the m1009 last night on some off-road trails. 35mph down rocky, bumpy dirt roads (even had her airborne for a second...I swear that bump popped out of nowhere). Put her through small hillclimbs you can barely walk up, creek crossings and mud holes up past the floor boards (had water/mud coming through holes in the floor). I was surprised how good she did, and that she didn't fall apart. The trans shift linkage came loose though. I just had to tighten that nut and mess around with it a bit and it's ready to go. I expected something to happen with all the bumps. All of this was on mountain trails after a big rain.

I only really used the 4x4 on the hillclimbs. I used 4LO and it worked fine on the climb, but after the climb on the flat part, it would pop. I figured that's when it was letting me know that I could put her back in 2wd! I'm confused as heck about it.

I love my m1009.:driver:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks