• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My First Recovery: M109A3

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well it all started out as Dad and I looking at a Deuce that my dads friend told us about that was forsale. We went to look at it not knowing what it was or how much he wanted for it. I had no intentions of buying another deuce. We looked it over and gave his wife my number. It was a decent looking M109A3, needs paint and the usual little stuff that deuces need after sitting for so long. I looked inside and it only has 16,000 miles on it, good tires, cab heater (coolant type), hard top, new looking fuel fired heater in the back of the van body and had a boarding ladder. The best part was i poped the hood and saw it was an LDS! I'm saving for a house but i still made a low offer and he accepted. Im excited to start working on it and get the fuel fired heater working. I still need to dig into the TM to see what the problem is. The heater is blowing cold air even with the heater switch off, so i think its the flame detector thing because the fan blows all the time as soon as i switch it to 24 volt or 115 volt. It will also pop the ground fault in the shop if i plug it into that outlet. That is the fun part about it, ill figure it out with help from the TM and you guys here. Im really supprised how ballsy the LDS is, wow! it runs good! It has a different sound than my LDT-465-1D in my M35A2.... sounds more like a 5 ton cummins a little. It also will blow some black smoke out going down the road but when the turbo spools up, it cleans up some. I dont think the fuel was turned up. I want an LDT in my M35A2 now! Addicting hobby for sure. Well here are the pics!

Attachments

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Blue truck is a '32 Ford, My Dad's :p.

Tonight's mission is to get the fuel fired heater working. I see a small screw stuck in the louvers of the heater control box, ill pull the cover off and look for anything obvious. check the little things i think and go from there. I had the heater flooded the other day, diesel dripped out of the exhaust pipe. hope it will be ok..... all i hear is a slow clicking sound when i try to start it.

Armada

hope it will be ok..... all i hear is a slow clicking sound when i try to start it.
Clicking is good.... it's trying to ignite. Drippings not good... but it's getting fuel. Check to see if the exhaust is not plugged. I had one plugged with a bees nest once and it did the same thing.
Solid looking truck. Besides a new looking heater, you've got all the breaker panels too.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks