• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

my m-211 drives in low range only????help please

Ed

hi im new to this site but it has been a great help.my problem is that my m-211 runs in low range only and i would like to fix i do not have a tm but.this is what it does.the truck when i shift it into high range it acts like it is binding?i shift from 1st to 2nd and nothing not even reverse.acts like i put it in park.but it work in low range fine. aua what can i do is it a manual adjustment or something much worse.thanks for any help you guyz can give i appreciate it.

BigRed

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The transmission adjustment on these trucks is complicated. The TM that describes this is very cheap, compared to the parts that can be destroyed by improper adjustment, much less the value of your time/labor. I'd check Portrayal Press or Ebay for the TM before going further.

I know of no free on-line resource for the TM pages.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

westfolk

Before this started....did you get the truck hot? Or even a little on the warm side? Have you tried it both in F1 and F2 high and low? The tranny is actually only a four speed. So if it is working fine for all four in low then good. Then that means you problem is in the...it's been awhile so I don't remember the name of it....gearing that changes it from the low side to the high side.

Ed

thanks ...i am going to get a tm as soon as possble.i have let the truck run for up to 15 minutes or longer befor driving her.and it was the same i shift into f1 high and nothing, shifted into f2 high and nothing tried reverse nothing.

but i put it in f1 low range and the truck seems to go faster around 10mph and when i shift it into f2 low range it slows the truck down.and i have noticed that reverse sometimes goes faster??? but thanks for any help you can give me.i hope what i have said makes sence.

Big Red

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have the main trans that is a four speed, then there is a large round casting mounted to the rear of the trans that is the high/low clutch. It has its own valve body and shift rod to it at the top. Check that the linkages are not rusted, preventing shifts. I had high/low go out one time. There is a large cone clutch in the round casting that does the shifting. It has a large seal ring around the OD that had failed because of a broken flange on the cone that retains the seal. I took off the cover on ther round casting and replaced the cone and seals, fixing the problem. These trans are tough, but do not continue to run engine oil in it like the military recommends. Go to Dexron ATF for long life. Engine oil is all wrong for them, and is the biggest contributor to the trans having a bad name. I did that on mine, and I used it for 20 years as a grain truck and plowing snow, also pulling a 35 foot machinery trailer with no trans problems. Also under the trans at the front is an oval cover. Drain the coolant out of the plug under it marked water, remove the cover, and check for accumulated crud that needs washed out. This is the trans cooler, and sludge in it makes the trans run hot and leads to failure.
Regards Marti

westfolk

Like Marti says. Heat is a real killer for these trannys. If you want to...Take the whole bottom pan off the tranny. While that's off do what Marti said and now you can get any gunk that is laying there from inside the tranny. Also I thought about it. Have you tried pulling any weight while in low? See if the engine has to do some work and it not slip the tranny. There is a chance that the main bands are grabbing good enough in low to move it(with no resistance against the truck)and when you put it on the high side they don't grab enough. That'll nail it down to that. ALSO I stress using ONLY Dexron. Nothing else. Do not overfill it either.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks