• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M1028 blew up today Need Ideas! Diesel Help

M1028A1ShelterCarrier

While climbing from 3000 ft. to 9000 ft. in 100 degree heat in Death Valley, I noticed the sweet smell of coolant and a black cloud behind me (exhaust not usually visible in my truck). I thought I was over heating so I pulled over and my 26qt's of coolant was flooding the road. Under the hood, I noticed that the overflow bottle had exploded and steam was emitting from around the head. I towed it home and filled it with coolant. The truck stared after cranking it for longer than usual and it idles rough and has a louder diesel knock (less power too). Once it heats up, the coolant gets real hot and begins to blow out my homemade overflow bottle as if it exhaust coming out. Mt theory is (Imp not a diesel mech) that the head gasket blew out or? I am hoping that a head gasket swap will fix my problem with out other major damage . What else could I have broken?

mangus580

ugh...

I agree with your head gasket theory... but additionally its possible that you could have some bearing issues, if you have any coolant in your oil. I would suggest having the heads checked for cracks, and maybe even flatness. This is exactly why I have a temp gauge for mine (although not hooked up yet) Overheat is the worst problem for a 6.2 :-(

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
If you injector pump was turned up, you might have burned holes in the pistons. I had one 6.2 melt holes in 3 pistons with too much EGT going up a big hill in the heat. worse case scenario, rebuild the motor for 2-3k if you can do the work yourself. If your lucky, just a head job. Good luck.

M1028A1ShelterCarrier

I cant wait till I have time off to pull the head. Since I saw super black smoke at the time off over heating (clean now) a hole in how the piston could be possible. I was going to bid on 3 6.2's last month at pendleton but changed my mind. All three went for 300. WHat a deal when you have a bad motor. Only if I could find a HMMWV pullout in Cali. for a good price (PM me if you have one)

85-m1028

Bummer!! that really sucks!! :cry: Did you check the condition of the radiator? I had mine recored with a new 4 row that had larger tubes for about $360, cools better than the O/E radiator, I also put in a Penninsular high flow water pump 110gpm. you never know could just have a bad t-stat, did you check the crankase for gasses or excessive blowby? if you have a loud knocking that could be a cracked piston. My old engine sent up a solid cloud of white smoke when I removed the oil cap, result of several cracked pistons!!

rdragoo

6.2 Motors at Camp Pendelton??

Someone mentioned motors for sale at Camp Pendelton. Is there a web site, or how do you find out about these for sale. I'd love put aside a spare motor.
Thanks,
Randy

ouch!

coolant out the overflow usually means gasket is gone.sadly,"hard starting" and "rough running" usually indicate a loss of compression,which could be gasket also or cracked head or block.
only a tear down will tell the tale...definitely pull the heads.that means both not just the one that leaks... :(
sorry to hear this...definitely upgrade your cooling system before running around the desert.good luck,and keep us informed.
( a temp guage is on my shopping list as of now!)

M1028A1ShelterCarrier

I should of saw the early warning sign. I had sludge in the coolant indicating coolant mixing with oil. If I get away with just a head gasket, I will need to shovel that sludge out unless there is some type of cleaner. I hope the loud knocking is just from a/several leaking cyl. and not a piston. Thanks for all the ideas...

dilvoy

Hopefully you just need new head gaskets and no bottom end work. Don't forget that the head bolts are one time use items so buy new ones. Maybe the hammering was because of coolant being sucked into the cylinder and causing a liquid lock situation. You might try draining the coolant from the block via the drain plugs which are behind the engine mounts and then running it a short while to see if the hammering sound goes away. A little more low rpm running should not cause any more damage than has already happened. I guess if the drain plugs are too tough to get to, you might pop out an easliy accessable core plug from each side of the block to drain it, you could then be shure if you need to replace the rest of them due to corrosion.

CCATLETT1984

while you have the heads off, have them checked for warpage. spec says to take off no more then .005 off of them but another member here has taken .009 and .007 off of his. I would try and have them milled the same amount (both milled enough to fix the worst side), it really shouldn't be enough to make a difference but it would ensure even cumubstion chamber sizes.