• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M35A2 is NMC in Columbus GA

ABN173

Well I am posting here for ideas because I’m completely out at this point. It’s a long story but I’ll try to give you all the cliff notes version. Last Summer I moved back to my NC house by FT Bragg. I got into a electrician apprenticeship at IBEW LU 553. I had originally planned to go back to Columbus one week after my first part of the move, but we had a covid scare with our daughter and decided to self quarantine just in case. We got down there and ran into a new problem with the truck.

It was parked on a slope and picked up debris in the fuel system. So we had to regroup again. Ordered parts, replaced the fuel filters with a spin-on kit, and all the fuel lines. Went to go get fuel and the clutch went out. I tried to make it back to my Brother-in-law’s house but it completely stopped working about a 1/2 mile away from his house. Had a guy with a dually tow me back to his place. Here’s where it gets interesting, Once we got it parked on the side of the street we thought it needed to be moved back a tad. But it would not move backwards so I’m thinking it might have a transmission problem instead of just the clutch.

My issue with repairs at this point is time. I’m working 40 hours a week with another 3 hours per day in commute time. I also have class as part of the apprenticeship program every other weekend. If I was there in GA I could just order parts and fix it.

My first plan was to get the vehicle to Clinto and have his guy he uses tow it up on a trailer. Was just about ready to get that executed when the transport guy mentioned that he didn’t have a winch or a way to get it on and off the trailer.
I briefly considered flat towing it myself with my Chevy 2500HD but after a test run around the block I decided that in order to do this, I’d need a person to steer the deuce and a trail vehicle. Even then it’s just sketchy and not something I want to try.

Now I’m looking for ideas. I’d even consider selling it as is, but not my first choice. Time is my problem or I would have fixed myself. My Brother and Sister-in-law are really looking for it to be moved sooner than later.

Thanks in advance for your ideas fellas,
Dale

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Use the guy Clinto uses to trailer it. But maybe see if you could barter with him. See if buying a affordable winch would be exchanged for the transport or part of it.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can rent portable winches from a lot of tool rental places. Have you checked the parking brake? Sometimes they can cause a problem backing up.
Had the parking brake preventing reverse on a Deuce once… There are 3 springs on the parking brake; if one breaks or becomes disconnected, it will engage the parking brake when backing up. Check this first as it may not cost you much if just replacing a spring or adjusting the parking brake assembly.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A quick test to see if the PB is locked on, go under the truck with a hammer and tap on the PB drum. A ring it is NOT stuck, a thud, stuck. And, sometimes if things rust stuck on, release the brake....chock things....and give the drum a couple of whacks.

rustystud

OK I know this sounds weird but, do you have the older style transfer-case ? If you do, then you could have a bind-up with the over-running clutch. This can cause all kinds of problems, including ones that look at first glance like a bad clutch. It can also cause the truck to not move, like the brakes are locked up.
Like "Gimpyrod" said, remove the driveline between the transmission and transfer-case, then remove the drivelines from the transfer-case to the differentials. Make sure you block the tires before doing this !!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks