• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Militarized DVD Player is Done - Pic's & Video

IRWFO

I started this project over a year ago and then it sat on the shelf forever since the truck was off the road. So these past few weeks since all seems to be well with the truck I have been staying late in the shop finishing up my DVD player. The head unit is from JVC. I found a company on the web that sells empty electronic boxes. This one was the closest size to work with the radio as I could find and it had a military look. The box is well made but a little on the light duty side so I reinforced the inner frame and added thick sheet metal to the floor for the mount. The anti-vibe mount came from some type of Mil-Radio that I got from eBay. The black box on the back was just a simple project box from Radio Shack. Some of the connectors on the back of the radio were right up to the boxes wall and this made for a little more room and allowed me to have the wiring exit from the bottom for a cleaner look. All in all the hardest thing was creating the mounting system for the head unit. There was a lot of sitting around planning and then all the trial and error till I got it right. I have no fear of going off road with the truck and have my work fail.

The small boxes on the wall under the rack is for the XM radio. As you can see I wired everything to the Mil-Radio power supply. I just changed it to 12v instead of 24v. The nice thing is now I only had to run one small power wire to the fuse box for ignition power. Radio, Amps and anything else I want is now back there.

Now the project is not done. I still need speakers. Right now I am just using a pair of 6x9's in wedge boxes that I had sitting in my garage. Up front I will be putting a set of Infinity Components. I still haven't figured out yet how and where they will be mounted. So far I haven't had to drill or cut any holes in the body. I didn't want to butcher my truck incase I decide to restore it some day. The Sub Box is being custom made for me by a friend in the business. It will mount behind the rear seat and he is making it look like a metal storage box. What's nice is that I am doing some gunsmith work for him and he is building the box for me.

Right now I have a MTX amp temp. mounted under the rear seat. When I get the sub box I will add another amp and decide where they will be permanently mounted. The last thing will be adding a screen to the front dash mounting plate.

Taking the first drive with Apocalypse Now playing was real cool. Not to mention having a radio will make my long trips go by a little faster. Here are some photos and a short video of the player in action. BTW, the small black antenna next to my Mil-Antenna is for AM/FM.

http://www.ny-tactical.com/Video/MVs/JVC-Mil-Radio.wmv

Attachments

spentshell

Is that charlie running over that bridge? A most excellent install, now you need a canvas cover to hide it from the sticky finger people and keep the dust off.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Very Nice install and you can also remote an LCD screen to the dash chemical mount plate. What size screen is it and does it fold out to load a DVD or is there a cassette for multiple DVD's in it?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks