• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Official Deuce to GMC Truck Build

BaconFarms

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello,

Well, I have been acquiring some parts of late, so I figured I would start a build thread. I have another build in another forum for a different kind of truck, and it helps me keep track and get others thoughts as I go along. Can't hurt...., too much.

So, almost all of the parts will come from auctions, which I attend in the spring and fall yearly. Last year I picked up a 1950 REO Deuce in a fall auction. A couple years ago I picked up a rust free 1947 GMC 2-ton flatbed with nice rust patina on Ebay and a 3 day trip to Montana and back. Last fall I picked up a 1989 G30 cube van, 350 TBI with 3L80 automatic transmission. And, now, yesterday I picked up a bunch of surplus Military tires at a auction. Need to pick what size I want and reoup some money on the rest.

The cab on the Deuce is very rough, and I was in the Army for 27+ years and have many years in Military vehicles, so building a "Military" vehicle dosen't do it for me, however, I am all for anything mechanical, car, truck or tractor. Hence the '47 GMC cab. They both have good titles in my name and the GMC being a '47 gives me some room when it comes to large tires and lights, etc. In WI, fender (and light) laws started in 1950. With that said, I will probably sell the '50 Deuce title with the cab and data (VIN) plate. Maybe someone needs one for their project.

The 331 Gold Comet runs fine and with transmission, I should be able to recoupe some money for the project. The '89 350 TBI has more hp and torque, but at a 2x the RPM, but, I still think it will work for what I want. And I have forgot more about the SBC than I will ever know about the 331. LOL.

What I don't have yet is the parts for one rear axle. I like the kit that sells for $1250 on the innerweb and I think it is the simplest. More to think on that one. The wheelbase will be 116 inches, so the GMC will be a stepside shortbox, and I could use a '50 Suburban I have (but rough) to make the Grandson a "Grave Digger".

Also need to source rims and adapters, or I should say, sort out which way to go.

More to come, but I have other things to do too, so it will be slow but steddy. Some pictures for now.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post war trucks and cars had some sass to them. I like it. 1947Chevy dot com had a side view cab pic and it's close. Real nice example of a 47 2 ton it just doesn't say GMC. https://1947chevy.com/ There aren't a lot of 47 GMC trucks out there so that's a good save. Here's a quick photoshop without the bob and shortbox. Big tires under a short box stepside could look real sharp. Cool project. 4x47

chvycom47.jpg

Some guys make bobbing look easy with the right tools and team. Hope it goes well for you.

image000003.jpg image000001.jpg image000002.jpg image000000.jpg

BaconFarms

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post war trucks and cars had some sass to them. I like it. 1947Chevy dot com had a side view cab pic and it's close. Real nice example of a 47 2 ton it just doesn't say GMC. https://1947chevy.com/ There aren't a lot of 47 GMC trucks out there so that's a good save. Here's a quick photoshop without the bob and shortbox. Big tires under a short box stepside could look real sharp. Cool project. 4x47

View attachment 896901

Some guys make bobbing look easy with the right tools and team. Hope it goes well for you.

View attachment 896906 View attachment 896907 View attachment 896908 View attachment 896909
I actually have a 1947 Loadmaster, LOL. And its a runner. Needs a new key switch. Sometimes runs on off, and won't start on start, but you will have that after 75 years..

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I actually have a 1947 Loadmaster, LOL. And its a runner. Needs a new key switch. Sometimes runs on off, and won't start on start, but you will have that after 75 years..
Nice looking vehicles!
Heck, that switch is no problem in the grand scheme of things.

I might not even need a swear jar for that kind of problem.
Just keep on trying the key til it works!

:)

Or invest in a switch

1683901376004.png

BaconFarms

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not much to add as of late. Too much orchard and equipment work. I did take for a spin in the woods and broke a mirror, so I got that going for me. I sold 8 of the 12 tires that I had picked up a couple months ago at auction. I have 4 16R20s left for the project and enough money from the proceeds left over to buy some rims. Not sure what I will go with yet, but want to check out the one piece wheels from out east for price.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks