• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mystery Bracket

JDToumanian

This is on the driver's side fender. At first I assumed it was for a fire extinguisher, but I've never seen one like it before. I've heard of "decontamination bottles"... Is that what mounts there? Better yet, anyone got one to sell? I've never seen anything like this in any MV boneyards I've been to...

Jon

Attachments

Armada

Dunno, I think it's for the decon, but there is one of those mounted on the front of my 101 trailer that came back from Kuwait. It has a co2 cartridge in the top part of the bracket too.

Attachments

Trango

Wow. That's why I always ALWAYS ALWAYS wear a P100/VOC respirator when I'm touching CARC... In addition to the standard CARC inhalation hazards, I wonder what chemicals were exposed to the CARC throughout its life.... although it's supposed to be very impervious (and probably is), I always wonder.

I actually have to get the dirties on and grind off/weld on some carc in about 10 minutes... I need to drive the buggy around, and I realized last night that the rear steer axle, well, it's totally floppy! Gotta weld a tab from the axle housing to the tie rod, just temporarily, so this thing doesn't "autosteer" how it likes!

jasonjc

The nitrogen cartridge looks just like a co2 cartidge. I think the size is about the same but hihger presure.
The nitrogen is to spray the decone stuff out of the bottel the bracket holds an extar cartridge

JDToumanian

Wow, thanks everyone! Mystery solved! What era are decon bottles from? It doesn't seem like something that was original to the truck... I'll have to keep an eye on eBay... I hate empty brackets almost as much as vacant holes in fenders!

Regards,
Jon

Crazyguyla

Jon,

They came out around Vietnam, i think, and are still used today in small numbers. I had an NBC / CBR storage room full of the bottles with nitrogen cartrages. Thgis was beofre my unit deployed from new orleans to Iraq, no telling where those 100 something bottles went after Katrina had its way with the city. I had a motor sergeant from there tell me that the bottles can be used to spray paint with.. have to have a big stash of nitrogen cartriges and very thin paint. but saves on proplems about water in the air, hoses in the way... etc..

JDToumanian

Thanks for the tip Jeff! I just won one a few days ago on eBay already, I lucked out and found one NOS in the box with bracket and spare nitrogen bottles the first time I searched... I paid $35, not too bad I suppose since it is brand new...

Jon

pistolnut

The decon agent contained in the bottle pictured is DF-200. It was developed by Sandia National Laboratories and is manufactured and sold by Envirofoam Technologies. It is an effective and relatively environmentally friendly decontaminant. It has only been around since 2000, so that is a pretty current photo.

pistolnut

My deuce had one of these brackets too, I didn't know what it was for until now. Now I really have to have one of the bottles, I've done a lot of research on decon foams.

NEIOWA

Trango said:
Wow. That's why I always ALWAYS ALWAYS wear a P100/VOC respirator when I'm touching CARC... In addition to the standard CARC inhalation hazards, I wonder what chemicals were exposed to the CARC throughout its life.... although it's supposed to be very impervious (and probably is), I always wonder.
1.) Training uses bottles filled with water.
2.) The modern US military has never had to undertake an actual realworld chemical decon as noone has ever actually made a chem attack on us.

So you don't need your resp when changing tires, loading your truck etc etc etc.

CARC is a 2part/catalyzed/epoxy paint. Hazard level is same as the 2part paints used by your local body shop paint. Just use std/appropriate resp. protection when grinding, welding, spraying; you're not going to endanger your DNA by touching dry CARC.